The Baby Talk

"Here you go," Dick said as he placed a flower on his girlfriend's niece's head. The four year old giggled as she said thank you. Artemis, his girlfriend, smiled at them as she tied more flowers to her own crown. He gave her a quick grin as he laid back on the grass. Lian laid down next to him and poked his cheek.

"Hi, Uncle Richie."

"Hi, Lian," Dick said back. Artemis leaned over towards him and placed the crown she was making on his head. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her down with the rest of them. The little girl crawled over to the blonde and laid on her chest. Artemis was more of a mother to her than Jade was. One night Jade just left. The archer immediately stepped in. That was one thing he loved about her. She would do anything for Lian.

Artemis hummed before she spoke, "What do you wanna do later, Lian?"

"Ice cream?" The child asked, still smiling big.

"Of course, baby. Today's your day, so we can do anything you want."

"Y'know, I saw a carnival on my way over here. We can go in the night time," Dick suggested as he leaned his head on Artemis' shoulder. He pulled started to play with a piece of her blonde hair. Lian then started to play with her hair, too. Artemis chuckled softly and closed her eyes.

"Can we stay here for a bit longer, Uncle Richie?"

"Absolutely, Kiddo," It only took a few more minutes for Lian to fall asleep on Artemis' chest. And based on Artemis' breathing partners, she was still awake.  "Babe?"

"Yeah, Dick?" She opened her eyes.

"Do you ever think about having kids, like your own kids?"

"No," She answered quickly. He was surprised by her answer. For being such a maternal person, she didn't have any interest in having a baby of her own.

"Why not?"

"I was alone for most of my childhood. I didn't have my mother, and I certainly didn't have a father. I had an abuser. And I've seen what the world is like. I've seen what people do to children. I can't bring my own flesh and blood into that," The archer sighed before kissing his forehead, "Not like that."

Dick propped himself up on his elbows and looked down at her, "If we ever have a baby, I would love them more than anything Artemis. I would never hurt them, or you. And I would protect that child with my life. I know you would do the same. You're fighting for Lian every time you step out on field. And you would doing it for our baby, too. Nothing bad will ever happen to our children."

"Our children?" Artemis smiled up at him. Dick put a hand to the back of his neck and shrugged, a giant blush staining his cheeks.

"Yeah, our children. Cause like hell I'm leaving you," He answered as he laid back down. Artemis chuckled at him before giving him a peck on the lips.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Beautiful ... So you'll think about it?"

"Don't push your luck, dickhead. Now go to sleep, it's nap time," Artemis told him. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around her niece. Dick scoffed after her grabbed her hands, laced their fingers together, and closed his eyes.

A/N: I was on my iPad this morning and saw a Wattys banner pop up. I think everyone can enter, but thanks for getting me there if that's not the case. And if it is, I suggest everyone to go for it. I would love to read your stories!