11.NOT HER

“Bye, till we meet again, you have a good heart. I love you Arch. WE love you kiddo,” All this words floated in my brain sending chills down my spine.

“Don’t go,” I kept uttering this like some kind of a magic spell till I felt his hand touch mine and therefore I opened my eyes since I knew the reality of the matter. She was the one holding my hand and that meant one thing, if she was still holding it then she was okay.

“I am glad you are here by my side Elena,” I said opening my eyes to look into her eyes.

I removed my hand from hers and almost jumped out of bed when I saw Kendra sitting by the side of my bed. 
Who allowed her in here? Where is Elena?

“I would have said I am glad to see you back but you just messed the whole thing when you asked about another girl,” She said looking at me and before I could come up with something, she threw her bad over her shoulders and ran to the door where she walked out without stealing a glance at me.

I was in a hospital bed and I guessed that we might have been injured in our little crush. I really hated the hospital because it reminded me of something that I have drank myself to forget but it never worked even for a second.

I sat on my bed and tried to remove the needle that was placed in my hand that administered a colorless fluid in my body, I guess the solution was dextrose but that was none of my concern. My cloths had been changed and I was wearing a blue linen that was a uniform for the hospital and it sucked.

I was sure that I did not remove the needle correctly because blood started dripping on the floor but that was the least of my concerns. All I wanted was to get out of that horrible place. I would ask about Elena’s welfare later. Hopeless, helpless and sad environment was not my piece of cake.

I got out of the bed and started walking in the empty hallway hoping and praying that I would get outside the hospital without getting noticed.

I tip toed and I kept looking out so as to take flight whenever the security noticed that I was escaping from the hospital. In a minute, I saw three doctors and two nurses pushing a sick person and I wanted to ignore that and I didn’t because I saw a broken golden wheelchair being pulled towards their direction by a woman in a golden wheelchair.

My heart was thumping hard and threatened to break my ribcage as I walked towards the door they had disappeared into. I knew the sick person was Elena and I just wished for her to be okay. I feel it deep within my heart that I care for her so much.

THIETRE, OPERATION GOING ON.

I read the sign written at the door and a swarm of butterflies were released on my stomach. I feared hospitals for this reason. It’s a matter of saving life they say but who are the inhabitant of the morgue, the same people we take to the doctors to feel better. This place sucks.

I peeped through the door but I could not see clearly. I only saw two doctors and one nurse attending to a patient. 

Why are not they discrete, they could all be hidden in a small room. Or am I the one in the wrong place?

There were visible slopes in the ECG machine and I could tell that the patient was alive as I had learnt that from the many movies that I had been watching.

The doctors kept checking at her leg and I was so sure that was Elena in there. She was the only person I met and at our school who could not walk. The nurse shook her head and all my anxiety creeped back. To add salt to the injury, the ECG machine started beeping and producing a red flashlight. I felt a cold feeling of uncertainty creeping up and I was lost. I wanted to pray but I could not since the reality really hit me deep.

She was dead and I could never talk to her or deal with her bitchy face anymore. 

The doctors tried their best by using artificial heart pace setters to try and bring him back but what was done was already done. She was resting with the angels because she was my angel. I can’t deny the fact that I feel a connection with her. It feels kind of like we had met before but I don’t know where.
The weight of my body felt heavy and I walked for only a step before I chose to sit down at that vast hallway.

I held the weight of my head with my hands and tried to give myself a reality check but it was a bitter truth to take in for a short period of time. This adds to 1000 reasons why hate hospitals. 

People die and it is okay to everyone because they end up saying that they tried their best. For me, I don’t think so.

A burning sensation that felt like a round ball was on my throat and each passing moment it got worse. I was angry at myself for getting trapped with her and being unable to save her. I should have done something more. Maybe she would be alive.

I am a killer, I killed her.

I tried swallowing the burning ball on my throat but it turned to bitterness that only tears could erase.

I chose to let it out since all this anger and sadness that I was building in me could become toxic and kill me to. 

I broke down crying in short sobs as I let the tears from my eyes flow uncontrollably. If this was a way of letting pain go, then I should try. I could not take it anymore.

I kept rubbing my eyes and wishing for a miracle to happen. I kept wishing as I drowned myself with a million thoughts of what if clouded my mind.

“Is everything alright sir,” A vice brought me back to reality.

Authors note,
76 reads so far, thank you