--2--

Chapter 2
I stared out the window as we continued the journey to Heartland. From what I’ve seen, it looks pleasant but I’ve never really been to a big city before. We passed by the school on the way to our apartment, its fairly bigger. Much bigger than my old school and that’s a bit intimidating to me. I’ll be sitting with a teacher’s aide during most my classes and PE, I'll be in most but not all of them.

I jumped feeling the car stopped outside our new apartment complex. I looked up at the multiply floors towering over our car. I heard Emi unbuckle her seat belt. “Stay here while I go talk to the moving truck,” She ordered and I nodded stilling looking at the building. I looked forward, watching Emi go to the moving truck parked in front of us.

I soon got bored watching her talk and looked over to the street opposite us. The café sis would be working in was right opposite? That’s convenient. I heard it’s a late-night café, whatever that is? Something for college students probably. I tilted my head, noticing people entering the café. Looking over to the clock it was 16:00 and the sun is starting to go down. Don’t you just love winter? I guess the café opens when the sun goes down. I looked back over and my heart skipped over a beat. One of the people that walked in, they looked like the person I saw from my window. But that’s not possible right?

I jumped, pulling my shoulder on my seat belt as my sister opened my car door. She knows how to scare me. “Come one trouble,” She laughed patting my shoulder. “Let's head to the cafe and look inside. We’ll grab some food while were there.”

I nodded, unbuckling myself and picking up my bag as I stepped out of the car. Sis explained she gave the mover instructions and that the landlord was going to look direct them to the right place. In the meantime, we could relax after the drive.

As we walked in, I was in awe of the décor. It wasn’t how I expected it to look at all. There were some booths and regular circle tables which had a sense of class to it with the purple and black tones. “You must be my new worker?” We looked up, seeing pink haired girl with bright eyes smiling at us. “I’m Ray, the manager, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“I’m Emi Sakaki,” Sis bowed. “Thank you for employing me. I promise to work hard.”

“I have no doubt,” Ray laughed before looking to me. “You must be Yuya. It’s nice to meet you.” I was a bit confused, what can I do as a greeting? I calmed myself down and after giving it a thought, gave her a small bow. “Why don’t we take a seat in a booth and discuss your employment?”

“Sure,” Emi smiled brightly.

Ray lead us over to a booth near the back, my eyes wondered and near the window I saw him. He never looked up from his coffee and I managed to sit without him noticing that I was looking. We ordered some food and as I ate, I just listened in on sis’ schedule. During from now until summer, she would be working 4 days a week, which included a Saturday or Sunday and the shift would start at 4pm. This would change in the summer but they would discuss that nearer the time. “To offer some additional help,” Ray began looking a bit nervous. “We would like to offer you help with your evening meals. Both you and Yuya.”

“R-really?” Emi stuttered, shocked by the sudden kindness.

“Yes,” Ray nodded. “I understand it’s just the two of you and I think it would help you both if Yuya comes here and while you’re on a break can eat an evening meal together. I hope you don’t think I’m taking pity.”

“N-no I’m very grateful, thank you,” Sis blushed and gave a sincere smile. At least we can eat one meal together a day this way. I suddenly felt my stomach churn Guess I ate too fast. Like a kid a grabbed Emi’s sleeve a blush covering my face. After a quick thought, she seemed to understand what I needed. “Sorry Ray, where’s your bathroom?”

“It’s just behind us and to he left,” She pointed out.

I got up quickly and followed the direction Ray had given me. My eyes rarely left the floor, only looking up to check the room. As I went to pull open the bathroom door, the door suddenly swung open, catching me by surprise and hitting my head slightly. I groaned holding onto my head. I looked up seeing the man from before with an apologetic face. “Are you okay?” He asked, looking at my head. He sighed in relief. “Phew, no cuts. Sorry about that. I’ll have to be careful.”

Not being able to tell him it was okay; I gave a simple bow and ran into the bathroom. My hearts racing. He was unbelievably better looking closer up. What am I thinking? I ran the tap, thinking splashing water on my face would help me to calm down. Why do I keep seeing that man? And why do I want to see him again?