- Chapter Ten -

I chickened out. That was the only thought in my head. I asked her, and she might've said yes, if I hadn't used my pathetic excuse instead. Would you be okay if I borrowed your book? What kind of excuse is that?!? I thought. If I could describe my thoughts right now it would be 1,000,000 face palm emojis.

After school, I met Fitz and Biana at the parking lot to wait for Della to pick us up like every other day.

"Hey, Keefe. Do you have plans for Sunday?" asked Fitz.

"You mean, Sunday as in two days from now?" I responded.

"Yeah. The rest of the guys and I are going shopping for homecoming. I wanted to ask you earlier, but we don't have that many classes together." he replied.

"Sure. I'll go shopping with you guys." I said. Even though I don't have a date. I thought.

The rest of the day passed by quickly. My parents never really pay attention to me or care what I do, so I just sat in front of my laptop doing random things and trying to keep my mind off my epic failure from earlier. Unfortunately, I couldn't. I considered texting Sophie to ask her to the dance, but every time I told myself I would do it, I've ended up staring at my phone for five minutes. Maybe I can do it this time. I thought.

I picked up my phone and went to my chat with Sophie. As I stared at the blinking cursor, I thought about what to say. Finally, I decided to go with a simple "hi". I thought that it would take a while for her to reply, but within the first minute I got a reply from her say "hi" back. I didn't really know what to say so I sent "i have a question for you".

"okay" she replied. As I struggled to word my question, the flickering cursor seemed to taunt me. Finally, I responded with the only message I could think of. "Could you bring me that book next week?" 

"What book do you want?" replied Sophie on our chat. 

"The one you were reading in English today" I replied hurridly, trying to come up with a believable response.

"Alright." she said. What was I thinking?!?! I thought. I failed to ask her, yet again. I don't know why this was so hard for me. Keefe Sencen, you are officially going to homecoming alone. I thought.