Chapter 10

August POV

"What are you doing for your birthday," Alijah asked me as she sat Indian style in front of the TV, eating ice cream.

"Nothing, probably just chill and smoke you out. Nothing too major."

She turned around and looked at me with a stale face. 

"It's your 18th birthday. You gotta do something. And I will definitely smoke you out before you do so to me," she spoke with a smirk as she pointed her spoon at me.

"I'm trying to see that shit."

"Nah, I'm playing. I'm cool on that. I'd rather be high off life."

I waited a min to see if she would laugh or do anything to insinuate that she was joking but she was serious which made that shit even funnier.

"Get out my house," I spoke through laughter as I pointed to the door.

"I'm serious," she laughed too, even though I was laughing at her.

"And that's why it's funny."

"Whatever," she said standin' up from the floor and takin' her bowl to the kitchen.

I honestly was cool with just chillin' with my homies and gettin' high on my birthday. It was just another day for me. I ain't really a party type of person, I just be chilling.

Alijah came back into the living room and sat across from me on the couch. I reverted my aimless stare at the commercial on TV and focused on her. She was on her phone, reading a big ass text message someone had sent her. I could see who it was from but I could see the healthy ass blue message box.

I turned so that my feet were now in her lap, only because I knew she would get fired up.

"Son, if you don't get them ugly shits off of me," she mugged as she wiggled her legs and pushed mine off of her.

I sucked my teeth as I turned again and moved closer to her.

"You be tripping on me," I said, resting my head on her lap.

She ignored me as she typed quickly, I'm assuming, replying to the text.

Instead of bothering her and taking or knocking her phone out of her hand like I wanted to, I turned and watched TV. Alijah had been watching this weird ass The Walking Dead bullshit since she came over after school.

"You're always mad calm. I wanna be like you when I grow up," she spoke after another minute.

"It ain't even like that. You'd be psyched the hell out if you could spend a day in my brain."

She bit the corner of her lip and she touched my hair as she looked down at me before speaking.

"I want you to vent to me. On something real, because you swear you be down and out and I can't tell. Hell, no one can."

"Down and out?"

"Mhm."

"I wouldn't put it like that, but hey," I spoke with a shrug.

"No, I'm not trying to misjudge you. How would you put it then," she asked as she rested her arm on my chest.

"I mean, I be going through some shit but I ain't ever been down and out. I'm good, just a lot of shit running through my mind."

She nodded for my sake but I knew she wanted to push the conversation. She always wanted to go deeper.

"How about we go to Universal for your birthday. You, me, and your crew. It'll be fun."