Chapter 23

Alijah POV

"Thanks, but no thanks. I can do it myself." I assured Quin as he pressed to hold my books for the umpteenth time. This had been going on for the past three days and even though it was a nice gesture, it was annoying when he constantly asked and I constantly had to decline.

I was aware of the little feud or whatever he and Aug had going and I was trying to avoid him as much as possible. He'd been at it all day even though I'd rejected him every time.

"Alright then, can I at least walk you to your class?"

"I don't think so."

"Let me guess.." He trailed off. "August?"

I raised my left eyebrow at his assumption even though he was right.

"What about him?" I asked, turning the corner on the hall my last class of the day was on.

Speaking of August, I haven't talked to him since yesterday when he said he had to handle "business". He was still supposed to be on bed rest but being the hot head he is, he refused to follow the doctor's orders. I have an assumption as to what he was talking about but I'm not sure. He'd been focused on Jaz for a hot minute so that's where my guesses were.

"He the reason you ain't giving me none of your time. Just because he doesn't fuck with me that doesn't mean you don't have to."

"In what world does it not?" I questioned his statement. "Look this may come off as tactless or rude but the only thing I want from you is distance. I don't know you nor do I want to get to know you. If August doesn't like you, what the hell makes you think I will? I'd be trifling as hell to be cool with you when I know good and well that you and August can't  stand each other."

Even though Aug I weren't exactly a thing anymore, we still had something and it'd be disrespectful and shady to be creeping with Quinn's ass.

"I'm not your nigga, so I'ma need you to tone it down, babe."

"I'm aware of who's my nigga and who's not. Don't call me 'babe' either." I retorted.

"I might be able to fix that smart ass mouth you got on you." He threw his arm over my shoulder.

"I have a class to go to," I removed his arm from my shoulder as I neared the door of my next and last class, Pre-cal.

"Yeah, I'ma hit you after school. You'll probably have come to reality by then."

Ignoring everything he was saying, I pulled the door of the room open about to go in until I felt a hard smack to my backside

"Don't keep me waiting, baby," He yelled over his shoulder as he jogged down the hallway.

"Bastard," I mumbled to myself as I moved through the doorway of the room.

Although it was only about six people in the hall, that shit would probably be back to Aug before I got to my seat. Along with the fact that I was walking down the hall with Quinn.

Luckily, the bell rang as soon my butt hit the seat. Mr. Thompson be on some other shit. It's like he gets his joy out of being aggy as hell. I wonder if he's married.

"Peterson, you're late."

"Apparently." I looked up to see Dre closing the door behind himself.

It was no surprise that Mr. Thompson didn't have to look up, from the book his nose was stuck in, to know that it was Dre who was late. He practically makes it his priority to be late, just to get under that man's skin.

He dropped the book, glancing up at him before clearing his throat. "I advise you to keep your smart remarks to yourself. I refuse to deal with your shenanigans today."