Chapter 11

Alijah POV

"Guess what day it is! Guess. what. day. it. is," I sang as I walked through the front door once August pulled it open.

He nodded at me as he closed the door and walked past me, going into the bathroom. I followed him, being a leech.

"Happy birthday, kid," I wished him and nudged his arm as he brushed his teeth. "Come open your gift in the living room when you're done."

I went back to the front and settled on the couch, scrolling down my Instagram timeline while I waited. He came out shortly and turned the TV on once he stretched out on the opposite couch.

"Is your mom coming over today?"

He shrugged his shoulders and I nodded.

I sat in the weirdly uncomfortable silence for a few more minutes before speaking again.

"What's are you getting into today? Besides smoking."

He shrugged again and I kissed my teeth. 

"I'm sensing a sour attitude. Let me know if I should leave. I can go," I spoke as I pointed toward the front of the house.

"It's early as hell. Come back at like three."

I raised my eyebrows, a little taken back, and stood to leave. I didn't forget to snatch up the gift bag I had brought along with me.

"I wouldn't count on it," I called. 

Salty? Enough.

"You're a piss party. Take a fucking joke." I could hear him speaking from the kitchen but I didn't care to stop and listen.

"Bye."

I unlocked the door and walked outside, pulling it closed behind me, but my arm was tugged as the other side of the door was pulled the other way.

"If you leave you better not come back," August spoke as I trotted to my vehicle.

"I won't," I smiled over my shoulder even though I was the least bit giddy. 

"You overreacting."

I shrugged my shoulders, not caring the least bit. I had gotten up as early as 8 o'clock to visit him for his birthday and have breakfast with him. On top of that, I practically had to beg my mom to get out the door and it's a whole ass Saturday out here. He wanted to be a bitch to me. I had no problem being a bitch to him.

He held the driver's door as I tried pulling it closed and I stale faced the hell out of him.

"Get out of the truck, man," he spoke, ignoring the fact that I was clearly annoyed with him.

"Nah, son, you dead just dissed the fuck out of me. Get your friendly ass away from my shit."

"You know I was playing. What's your problem? You acting like a brat right now."

"Move, or I'm running over your toes. Deadass."

He kissed his teeth and moved closer to the truck so that he was damn near in it. I started coming out my mouth about him still being here but he didn't give a damn. Instead, he took my keys from the ignition. I tussled with him a bit but he had the upper hand and eventually got them and stuffed them in his pajama pocket.

"Come in the house," he said nodding in the direction of the house.

"I'm not."

I sat back in my seat, folding my arms.

"You really mad," he spoke as his phone rang and glanced at it and pushed it in his pocket, letting the noise continue. 

I raised my eyebrows, slightly, thinking I had peeped something but I'm not gonna assume so quickly.