NINE

"I'm dying in this heat." Livie moaned as she dramatically threw herself onto the counter at the art museum that Jade managed.

"Kindly remove yourself from my counter." Jade nudged Livie's arm.

It was true for the past week a heat wave had covered Manhattan and it was miserable outside.

"Let's go swimming." Livie lifted her head.

"Where? And why are you not at work?" Jade turned her attention back to the computer monitor in front of her.

"I left early. The air conditioner stopped working. Can you believe it?" Livie shook her head.

"Yes. But I still must work. So go find someone else to go swimming with you."

"I have no one else. Dex is working, Seb is out of town and Chace isn't returning any of my calls or texts." She pouted.

"Well can you blame him?"

"Yes!" Livie pushed herself up from the counter with a frown. "Ok no not really. I didn't want to hurt him."

"Giving him space is probably the best thing you can do."

"I miss him."

"Go call Chris."

Livie's face lit up into a smile. They had been calling, texting and facetiming every day for the past week he was in Los Angeles. "I would but he's on a plane."

"Coming here?"

"Maybe." Livie smiled sweetly.

"Ok Liv I love you, but you've got to go. I've got so much work to do."

Livie frowned and smoothed the wrinkles from her lightweight designer slip dress. Grabbing her clutch from the counter she muttered a goodbye.

She pushed the doors open and entered the busy streets of downtown Manhattan. Chris said he wasn't sure what time he would be arriving. Livie debated for a moment before raising her hand to hail a cab. She was blocks from Chace's apartment in the financial district of Lower Manhattan.

Waving at the front desk security of Chace's apartment building Livie helped herself to the elevator and rode the quick trip to Chace's floor. She knocked on the door and waited a few minutes. She knocked again and was about to give up and leave when the door pulled open.

"Livie?" Chace asked.

"Hey! I've been calling you and texting you."

"I know. I was avoiding you." He said bluntly.

"Tell me how you really feel." She rolled her eyes.

"I did. You told me you didn't feel the same."

Livie stopped. "Chace, I didn't say that."

"No? Seems to me you said you didn't want to date me just sleep with me."

Livie raised her eyebrows in shock. "I thought we were better friends than that."

"That's the problem Liv. I don't want to be friends. So unless you came here to tell me you aren't dating Chris and have changed your mind about us, you should go."

"Chace."

"Bye Liv." He pushed the door shut leaving Livie in the hallway with her jaw open.

With nowhere else to go she headed back to her apartment and tried to stay cool despite the rising temperatures outside.

A knock at her door caused her to jump up and cautiously approach the peephole. She squealed when she saw who it was.

"CHRIS!" She pulled the door open and threw her arms around his neck. "How'd you know where I live?"

"Sebastian."

"Of course!" She laughed, "Come in!" She pulled on his arm.

"You sure you're ok with me just showing up?"

"Yes! Absolutely. Best surprise I've had in a long time."

Chris stepped inside the apartment, looking around he took in the space that belonged to Livie. It was modern but very homey as well. Hardwood floors were throughout all the rooms he could see. It wasn't large but bigger than a studio. She had all the lights off and a few candles on the breakfast bar were lit causing a soft glow casting shadows on the walls. It smelled of vanilla and lavender and Chris smiled.

"It's so dreadfully hot outside I've had the lights off all afternoon and evening. I'm afraid I haven't been grocery shopping in a few days. Are you hungry?" She walked to her kitchen and pulled the fridge open.

"I'm ok. I just wanted to see you. I probably need to get to my hotel to check in."

"Hotel?" Livie looked up from the fridge.

Chris nodded, "Yeah I have to sleep somewhere." He teased.

"You can stay here." She offered. "Unless you don't want to."

"Are you sure?" Chris crossed the room and entered the kitchen. He took her hands in his and pushed the fridge closed. "I don't want to move too fast and scare you away."

"I'm not scared." She whispered.

"We've talked about your hesitation in dating." He reminded her.

"I know. One day at a time. But I've missed you. And I want you to stay." She looked into his eyes.

"How can I say no to that?" He lowered his mouth to hers. The kiss intensified and Livie pulled back shyly.

"Maybe we should go grab some food." She smiled.

"Ok." Chris agreed. Smiling back at her he brushed his lips across hers one more time.