TWENTY SEVEN

"Honestly Olivia." Diane Hart scolded her daughter. Reaching out she took her index finger using it to push Livie's gaping jaw shut. Livie hadn't seen her mother in 5 years at least. And never here. In New York. At her doorstep. Livie wasn't even sure that her mom knew where she lived. Apparently, she did.

"Mother, what are you doing here?" Livie tried to process seeing her mother in person after so much time had passed.

"That's how you greet me? You're not going to invite me in?"

Livie pulled her robe tighter around her trying to pull the door shut so her mother couldn't see inside her apartment, "I have company."

Diane raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow. She hadn't changed at least. In a light pink pencil skirt and heels with a matching pink jacket Livie wondered how her mother walked through the streets of the upper east side in such.

"What are you doing here?" Livie asked again.

"I thought it was time I traveled here to see what all the fuss was about. I've tried to contact your brother but haven't been able to reach him."

"Dex works on the boat. You usually have to text him."

"I will do no such thing." Diane finally pushed Livie aside and made her in way into the apartment.

Livie groaned silently.

"Mother give me a moment please." She quickly raced to the bathroom where Chace was coming out.

"My mother is here." Livie hissed.

"Your mom?" Chace's eyes grew huge.

"Yes, please please go to my room till I can get rid of her."

"Ok." Chace looked confused but did as Livie asked.

Livie straightened her robe and returned out to the living room where her mom was probably analyzing and criticizing everything in Livie's apartment.

"Who is the young man?" Diane didn't miss a thing.

"A friend." Livie flushed red.

"A friend who sleeps over?"

"Don't pretend to be a parent now Mother." Livie said coolly.

"Pretend to be a parent? Is that what you think I did."

"I think you don't have any reason to be here."

"You haven't been home in 6 years Olivia. I certainly do believe I have a reason to be here."

"And what is it? You missed me and Dex?" Livie gave a fake laugh.

"Of course I miss you and Dexter." Diane sat down on the edge of the couch.

Livie perched herself on the arm of the recliner waiting for her mom to reveal the real reason she was there.

"Your father is sick Olivia."

Livie frowned, "What's wrong with him?"

"Cancer. He was in remission." She stopped, "They're waiting on additional testing."

"Why did you fly here to tell me this?"

"He has re-written his will." She continued. "He remarried about 4 years ago. You have a half-sister. She's 3."

"I have a what?" Livie slid down onto the recliner.

Diane forced a smile, "Her name is Sofia."

"Wait..." Livie put her fingers to her temples. "Why didn't my father tell me this?"

Diane shrugged, "You and Dexter made it very clear you didn't want to be apart of his life any longer, or mine might I add. Sofia is beneficiary of most of your father's fortune. Of course you and Dexter will have a percentage. You will need to come home however."