TWELVE

"So you two are playing house now?" Chace questioned Livie as she shut the door.

"No." Livie replied softly.

"Look, I came here to tell you maybe I was too harsh on you yesterday. I was a douche. And then I show up and you're giving him your house key. And I get it. You don't owe me anything. We were never dating. But I guess I just thought.......I just thought I meant more to you than that."

Livie's heart contracted as she looked into Chace's sad eyes. This is why she avoided all relationships. Someone always got hurt.

"You do mean more to me than that. Chace you are the best guy I know. I don't regret what we had. But if I could go back and change it so I could keep your friendship I would."

"Did you ever have any kind of feelings for me? Or was it just sex to you?"

"I could have fell in love with you." Livie admitted.

"Could have?" His face twisted with pain and confusion.

"I didn't allow myself. I never, never wanted to hurt you."

"What makes Chris different?" Chace wanted to know.

"I think I put up a wall with you stopping myself from completely falling for you because you mean so much to me. We've been friends for so long. And when we crossed that line, I knew I would fall hard for you and I was protecting myself from getting hurt. And I thought I was protecting you. I can't not have you in my life."

"I don't think I can see you with him." Chace looked away.

"I don't even know what we are. We've been talking and that's it. I don't know where this will go and what he even wants."

"What do you want?" Chace's voice was heartbreakingly sad.

Livie didn't say anything which confirmed Chace's thoughts that she wanted to date Chris.

"I should go. Take care Liv." He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. Livie didn't know what to say to him so she let him go.

"Honey I'm home." Livie pushed her apartment door open. Chris grinned and waved from his seat on the couch where he was watching tv. "Were you dreadfully bored today?" She asked as she kicked her heels off and plopped down on the couch next to him.

"No, actually I wasn't."

"Good."

"How was work?"

"It was good." She said carefully, "I want to talk to you about something. I hope that you don't view me differently afterwards."

Chris muted the tv and shifted on the couch to face her. "I don't think anything you tell me would make me view you differently, but I'm listening."

"I know it was a little odd when Chace stopped by my office. The truth is he and I, well, we are more than friends, WERE more than friends. But not officially dating. We-"

"It's ok. I get it." Chris cut her off with a knowing smile.

"But when I met you at Seb's party I told him I didn't want to see him in that way anymore. I was being honest when I said I don't date. Chace and I sorta just happened. And I didn't allow myself to have real feelings for him. But I know that he had them for me. I should have stopped it long ago but I didn't want to." She admitted softly.

"And now? How does he feel about you?" Chris asked although he knew the answer.

"He still has feelings for me."

"So where does that leave you 2?"

Livie shrugged. "I told him today I want to see where things go with you. I really like you." She took a deep breath, "I can't believe I said that out loud."

"Well I'm glad you did. I really like you too. I know we would be long distance and I know how this is all brand new to you but I want to date you, exclusively. I've never connected with someone like I have with you. I'm crazy about you." He looked at her in a way no one had ever before his eyes intensely set on hers and the corner of his mouth lifted in small but genuine smile. He leaned over tilting her chin towards him he kissed her softly.

"Maybe we can get dinner later?" She murmured laying back on the couch she pulled Chris on top of her.

"You slept with him?" JJ asked on the phone the next day.

"No I didn't." Livie corrected. "We just made out a lot. And were practically naked."

"Oh well then pardon me." JJ rolled her eyes.

"He's leaving for Boston tomorrow. He asked me if I wanted to come with him. It's Labor Day weekend."

"He asked you to go home with him?" JJ's voice perked up. "What did you say?!"

"I said no. I want to but dating someone exclusively is a huge step for me. Going home with him the same week is a little overwhelming."

"Yeah I'm proud of you. So what are our Labor Day plans?"

"You're not going to the Hamptons?"

"No."

"Oh." Livie frowned. JJ always went to the Hamptons occasionally Livie tagged along. "I guess we can go out on the boat if Dex is off."

"I think you should reconsider going to Boston." JJ grinned.

"I'm tempted trust me. But it's too soon." Livie chewed on her lip.

___________________

Dex was off on Labor Day so Livie and JJ talked him into taking the boat out. Sebastian was back in town and of course wanted to come.

"What about Chace?" Seb asked as he climbed on the boat Monday afternoon, "He's not coming?"

"I invited him." Livie adjusted her bathing suit strap. "I don't think he wants to be around me."

Seb sighed and pulled his phone out. Just as he was about to call Chace, they saw him walking down the dock.

"Sorry I'm running late." He called. He gave Livie a small smile as he jumped on the boat.

"Damn dude I was just about to call you." Seb slapped him hello on the back.

Chace shrugged, "No worries I'm here." He sat down across from Livie. She waited for Seb to join Dex at the cockpit of the boat before moving and sitting next to Chace.

"I'm glad you came." She said sincerely.

"I only came because Chris wasn't here." He tugged on the hem of his shirt not making eye contact with Livie.

Livie could feel the tension radiating from him so she just nodded and joined JJ on the sun deck at the bow of the boat.