• Maybe it's Not Meant to Be •

*Mick paces up and down the landing, clenching his hands together in a ball, nervously waiting for the news*
Linda opens the door and takes a deep breath.
"L..." says Mick softly, after what felt like the most agonising wait ever, with his heart racing like the clappers.
Linda doesn't say anything at first, but soon breaks down into tears and looks down to the floor. She can't bear to look at him.
Automatically, Mick walks over to her, "it's okay baby, it's okay" Mick kisses her forehead and rubs her upper arms with his hands to comfort her.
Linda continues to sob as Mick embraces her.
"Shhh baby shh" stroking her back as he says this.
"Look at me L" holding her face in his hands.
Linda repeatedly apologises, "I'm sorry Mick, I'm so sorry."
"Listen to me, listen, you have nothing to be sorry for okay.."
"Yeah I know but I just feel like I've let you down."
Mick takes her face and holds her tight.
"You haven't in the slightest L, you could never let me down, never!" He tries to comfort her as he says them words softly, knowing full well how much this is breaking her, Mick tries to hold back his emotions.
Ollie then wanders round the corner,
"Mummy, are you sad?"
Linda wipes her tears away and leans down to hug him.
Ollie goes "me and daddy will make you feel better"
"Yeah you heard the boy" replies Mick as he also crouches down.
Linda giggles softly, " I love both of my boys very much" and kisses them both.
"Come here." Mick invites them into a group hug and they embrace for a few seconds
"Let's go snuggle up on that sofa together." says Mick.
Linda nods in acceptance.
...

Mick, Linda and Ollie have been snuggled up on the sofa for well over half and hour now."
"We make quite a team don't we?!" Mick looks down to Linda, admiring her as he smiles.
She looks at him softly, "my precious boys".
Mick smiles and replies, "as long as we have each other, then that's all that matters. Whatever will be, will be."
Mick kisses her head softly, Linda smiles and holds them tighter, thinking to herself why on earth could they be finding conceiving so difficult. Mick interrupts her thoughts, "It's nice out do you wanna go to the park for a bite to eat or something babe?"
"Yeah yeah that'd be nice."
"What d'ya think son?"
"Yeah." Ollie replies
"You and daddy can take the football yeah?"
Ollie nods and smiles
Mick goes to whisper at Ollie
"Daddy will buy you an ice cream too."
"Oi, I heard that." Linda says as she playfully whacks Mick's side whilst Mick and Ollie giggle.