Chapter 20

~Monday morning~

                      -Zayn-

"Zayn...C'mon we have to go." I heard Liam say quietly.

I sighed, feeling that I was on something soft, and I was warm. My hand wasn't numb, and I was free.

I opened my eyes, expecting to see my bedroom, and realise that all of this was just a nightmare.

I saw Liam standing there, looking at me. I didn't move, waiting for him to fade away. I last remembered falling asleep Sunday night after a weekend of staying cuffed to a sink on an icy concrete floor.

"We've got to go to work. You need to get dressed and eat." He said, pulling the duvet off of me.

Cold air clung to my skin, wrapping me in goosebumps, and seeming to make me ache.

"What?" I mumbled, rolling onto my back. How did I get in bed?

"How did I get here?" I asked, slowly sitting up. I felt so sore. I was still in my clothes, but my shoes were missing. I'd put them back on after my shower since they were all that was in the room. I didn't want to ask anyone for anything.

"I'll explain later, come on." He rushed, gripping my arm and pulling me out of bed. His grip was startlingly cold and clammy.

"Don't touch me!" I snapped, pushing him away. "What the hell is going on?"

"David is taking us to the shipyard to work, we've got twenty minutes. You need to get dressed, then eat before he gets back." He said, looking in my eyes. His eyes looked darker than usual, and he appeared to be focused.

"He's gone?" I asked, wondering why we were still here if the bloke was gone.

"Yes." He answered with a nod.

"Why don't we leave? We can get out of here...can't we?" I asked, glancing towards the stairs.

"No. If it was that easy I'd have left by now Zayn." He said, like I was the ignorant one.

"Why can't we? Aren't we alone?" I asked.

"No. His mates are still here. We don't have to stay locked down here during the week. We go to work every day. David drives us, his other workers and his mates watch us at work, then David drives us back here. We do have a bit of freedom." He explained.

"You're actually okay with this?" I scoffed. "Why are you so comfortable with it? Haven't you ever tried to leave?"

He lifted his faded red jumper, and my eyes landed on the scar across his side. It was short, but intense looking, like it had been deep.

"Once." He answered, letting the jumper fall back into place.

"I don't understand this...we could..

.couldn't we escape if we wanted to? I mean, this is complete rubbish." I said, frowning.

"No...there's no way." He said again,walking over to his dresser and pulling clothes out. He handed me jeans, boxers, a long sleeved shirt, a thick purple jumper and thick socks.

"It's cold down by the water." He nodded.

"Alright." I sighed, looking at him.

He raised his eyebrows expectantly, looking at me. "Get dressed." He said.

"Privacy?" I snapped, giving him a look.

"What's the difference?" He chuckled. I was surprised he had the spirit to chuckle in such conditions.