Chapter 31

~The next day~

-Zayn-

Harry and I had planned to spend our lunch break together, but after Niall and Elle came, we separated.

Harry got a table with Elle, and Niall followed me outside. Oddly, Melissa had gone out for lunch.

Niall claimed he had no idea, but I sensed he knew Melissa wasn't going to be here.

As I smoked my cig, trying to ignore the intense itching on my forearm, Niall looked at the ground, kicking at nothing.

His hands were in his pockets, and his shoulders were slumped.

"Something wrong?" I asked, noticing the way he looked at me when I spoke. I didn't know how, but his eyes looked so full of emotion. They seemed bigger than usual, and he didn't prefom the usual pursing of his lips whenever I asked him a question.

"I....want to propose to Melissa but I'm scared." He admitted, watching me.

I looked towards my feet, thinking a moment.

"Um, how long have you two been together?" I asked, frowning slightly.

"It's too soon isn't it? I knew it." He sighed.

"Liam gave me this ring, and I feel really under pressure. Every time I look at it I just...feel like I have to propose or something will go wrong and she'll leave me." He rambled.

"Niall, mate," I chuckled.

"You've got to calm down, yeah? Do you want me to hold on to the ring so you won't feel so pressured?" I suggested.

He nodded eventually, handing me a beautiful diamond ring. I stared at it, feeling unworthy of being in its presence.

"Liam gave this to you?" I frowned.

"He found it in Bridlington." Niall nodded.

I dropped the ring into my shirt pocket, scratching my arm violently before taking another drag and trying to calm my nerves. Visiting Bradford shouldn't have affected me so much, but a familiar face from a rough past would affect anyone.

"Zayn, you look a bit...twitchy. What's bothering you?" Niall asked.

I shook my head. "I guess I've just got a rash from....nerves."

"What's messin' with your nerves?" He asked, looking in my eyes. Lying to Niall had never been easy for me.

"My parents...tried to set me up with...my ex-girlfriend by telling her I'd help her move to London and show her around." I said, scratching my neck.

"By ex-girlfriend you mean...Perrie? The girl you dumped for Liam the night before your one year anniversary?" He asked.

I sighed heavily, hating that he reminded me of how heartless I'd been. We had several fights before I ended it. At one point, I thought I was going to be with Perrie forever. Then I felt like it with Liam.

Harry was different. In every good way possible, Harry was different. I smiled to myself at the thought of him.

"You miss her?" Niall asked quietly.

"What? No, I was thinking of Harry. I don't miss her. That's rubbish." I scoffed. I dropped my cig, crushing it with my shoe.

"Okay...what're you gonna do?" He asked, stepping closer.

"Don't know...I mean, I kind of want to help her because...I owe it to her, you know? But...the awkwardness is going to be dreadful." I said, discreetly scratching my lower back against the wall.