Chapter One

WENDY'S P.O.V.

Kara and I had been the best friends. We would do everything together, and when I mean everything, I definitely mean everything.

There was not a day that she and I would not hang out. We played games, watched movies, and did many other activities. I believe that one of the reasons that Kara and I connected so well was because we both liked the same things.

For example, I enjoy fictional things. It did not matter if it was comedy, romance, or whatever. If it was fiction, I would want to play it, read it, or watch it. I always thought that I was weird because of this and was sure that no one could understand me.

Until Kara came into my life.

When we met, she actually made the first move in trying to become friends with me and asked about my hobbies. I could feel my cheeks grow hot in embarrassment. I do not take a liking to lying to my peers, however, if I told her about my weird connection towards the fictional world, she would laugh at me.

"You do not want to know," I replied to her.

We were in the lunchroom. I was sitting at a table by myself and away from the other kids, and she had walked over.

"Oh, really?" Kara sat down across from me. "Why is that?"

I shrugged and moved my fork around in my mashed potatoes in a circle, playing with my food. "You will make fun of me because I am weird."

Her eyes sparkled, and a smile spread across her face. "Weird? I love weird! It is my middle name."

I let out a snort, trying to keep myself from laughing out loud. "You cannot be serious. You look so...normal."

She stuck out her tongue, but it was not directly at me. "I am not normal. I am a weird person. Like you."

I smirked and leaned over. "You know that you cannot be weird without doing something that is bizarre towards normal people."

"I am way ahead of you." She had a lunchbox and opened it. She spun her lunchbox around and showed me what she was planning to eat. "I packed up my food with no help." She pointed to each of the foods. "This is my peanut butter sandwich. No jelly on it."

"No jelly? Do you not like jelly?"

"I hate jelly. It is the worst."

"Thank you! I swear that everybody in this school is in love with jelly."

Kara pulled a juice box out of the lunchbox. "This is apple juice. I love apple juice."

"What is strange about apple juice? It is good."

She twirled the juice box between her fingers. "Apparently, a lot of people think that if you really like apple juice, then you should have no problem with eating applesauce. But the thing is that I have tried applesauce, and it is so disgusting!"

"Wow. You hate applesauce also? Me too!"

Kara giggled softly. "Look at that. We just met and already have so much in common."

I laid down my fork on my tray and rested my head in my hands. "Only two foods so far." I then decided to ask, "Are you interested in fictional franchises?"

She gasped and clapped her hands excitedly. "Eee! All the way! Do you? Huh? Do you?"

I could not hold in my laughter. I burst out laughing. "Finally! Someone gets me!"

Another reason that we got along was because the two of us were outcasts. I had moved to the town of Forlot a week before Kara attended the school. When we went to the school, both of us tried our best to make new friends. Unfortunately, it was not a success. My classmates did not like me at all, and it was mainly because I had a thing for the fictional world. I was never bullied, thank gosh. I was just ignored.

I had no clue why Kara was being shunned out, but I guessed that it was because of the same reason as me.

It was not fair. Then again, life is never fair.

But when Kara and I met, we clicked, and I say that it was destiny that brought us together.

Even though that it was only six months, we knew that we could call each other best friends. Sadly, it did not last.

It was the beginning of a new month. I had arrived to school and was arranging my stuff in my locker, when Kara had skipped on over. Usually, she would have on a big smile. But not that day.

I shut my locker door, holding a couple of my books, and faced her. "Hi, Kara. How are you?"

She shrugged. "I guess...fine."

"Say, what is the matter? You do not look well."

Her hair was a mess, and there were bags under her eyes. "Sorry. I did not get any sleep. I was up all night last night."

"Why? You know that this school does not provide homework."

I noticed tears forming in the corners of her eyes. "I am sorry, Wendy." She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me. "I am leaving."

My eyes bulged. "You are what?"

She slowly pulled away, ending the hug, and wiped her tears. "I am leaving. I have to."

"Why? What about us? What about...me?"

"I am sorry, Wendy. Really, I am."

That was the last thing that I heard from her. She spun around and ran down in the opposite direction.

I wanted to chase after her. I wanted to kick up my legs and follow her. But I never found the urge. I was confused. Heartbroken to do anything.

As if that was not bad enough...

I was sleeping in bed, when my mother entered my room. She gently shook me, waking me up.

"Wendy," she said. Her voice was shaky. "Your friend Kara was found dead in her house. She took herself."