Chapter Forty-Six

WENDY'S P.O.V.

I examined the girl from top to bottom. Same short, blonde hair. Same clothes. Yup. It was indeed Kara.

But was she the real deal?

Explanations began coming to mind, and I thought long and hard from one logical reasoning to another. One of them was that she did not really take her life. Either she faked her death or a person gossiped about it. Unfortunately, none of those made any sense to me. Why? Well, if Kara was alive all this time, why did she not return to Forlot? To me and Tris?

The only explanation that was reasonable was that I was hallucinating. Yes. I have to be. No, I neither have experienced hallucinations nor have a history of them, but it was the clear answer.

I giggled softly, and Tris looked at me funny.

"Wendy? What is with the giggling? Are...are you both surprised and overjoyed that Kara is here?"

"No!" I burst out. I was not angry. I was just relieved - and found this to be pretty hilarious.

Kara - if it was really her - seemed hurt by my comment. She gently pressed both of her palms against her chest, against the area where her heart was, and asked, "Wendy? You really are not happy to see me?"

I immediately stopped my giggling and stared at her for what felt like an eternity. I should have felt bad for her, especially after all the crub that she had been through. But I did not - at first - and could you blame me? This was not the real Kara. It could not be.

"I did not mean to hurt your feelings," I explained myself. "It is just that...how can I take you seriously when I already know who you actually are?"

"You...you do not like me anymore...because I am an alien?"

Tris was getting on to what I was talking about and said, "It is not that at all. You are not Kara."

"I am not?"

"You are the computer who now thinks that you are her. You are nothing but a hologram," I said.

"Oh. So that is what this is all about. I get it now."

"See?" Tris informed. She stretched out her arm and had her hand in a gripping position.

What Tris was planning on doing was to have her hand go right through Kara. This would only prove our claim because holograms are not solid.

As her fingertips got close to Kara's chest, Tris said, "Hey, Wendy. I just realized something."

"Yes? What is it?"

"In the last chapter, it was said that the small device was destroyed."

"I recall that, Tris. I was there too when it exploded."

"So...if it is gone for good...that means that the Kara hologram is gone too...right?"

"That should not make any difference. This is probably another Kara hologram set up by the same or a different computer."

Our conversation was cut short when Kara grasped Tris' wrist. Though, it did not apparently hurt because Tris was not in pain or pleading to her to let go.

My and Tris' mouths dropped open as we came to the sudden realization.

Kara...the Kara that was in front of us...was real. It was not a hologram. She...she did not die after all.

A big smile slowly spread across our best friend's face. She released Tris as she commented, "What are you waiting for? Do I not get a couple of hugs?"

Tris and I stayed where we were for a few seconds. We rubbed our eyes and blinked a few times. Kara now had her arms outstretched, preparing to hug us back.

"Kara!" We went up to her and hugged her like we never hugged her before. We sniffed and teared up, and our friend hugged us back.

"It is good to have to you back." Tris took the words right out of my mouth.

"It is good to be back," Kara responded.

"Where have you been?" I asked. "We really thought that you committed—"

She interrupted me. "It is a long story. I will tell you and my children everything when we arrive back to your wonderful planet. Speaking of my children..." She pulled away from us and gasped when she noticed Wendow and Triso. "Wendow! Triso!" She hurried up to them. "How...?" She looked up at Pompus and frowned. "Pompus? Did you take away their human traits? Did you take away Wendy's and Tris' DNAs?"

Pompus was looking away from us and did not say a peep.

"Mom?" Triso choked out. "I-is that you?"

Kara turned her attention back to her daughters and placed a hand on either of the goos that were now their actual skins.

"I am scared, Mom," Wendow admitted.

"I know that you are. But you do not have to be. I can get both of you your human parts back."

"You can?" Tris said. "Do you have any of my and Wendy's DNAs left?"

"I am afraid not. However...there is another way, and it is completely safe. Possibly safer."

"What is it?" I questioned. "Tris and I will do anything to help Wendow and Triso."

"Excellent. I am glad to hear that."

Kara walked back to us, took our wrists, and forced us to her kids. She put both of our hands on the goos, mine on Wendow and Tris' on Triso.

"So...what do we do, Mom?" Wendow asked.

"You four are not supposed to do anything. Just wait and let it take effect."

"Let what take effect?" Triso wondered.

Suddenly, the four of us were covered by bright green light. We floated into the air and circled around. I was afraid that I would get sick.

Soon, we floated back down, and the green light faded. Tris and I felt pairs of hands wrapping over ours and saw Wendow and Triso holding our hands.

And the best part was that they were part-human again.