Chapter Eleven

WENDY'S P.O.V.

Tris and I sat in the backseat of Lila's car. We had taken the car to get to Kara's old home and were now taking it back to return to our house.

No. My house. It belonged to me and my mother. My mom and her dad were not married. At least, not yet, and I hoped that they never would be.

Please do not think that I am a selfish person. I try to put others above myself. Since my real dad left us, I had always encouraged Mom to get back out there, and if she had a desire to, find another man. But this time, a man who would truly love both of us and never leave us. She deserved a guy who was fitting for our family.

So why not Tris' dad?

I will admit that her dad had the qualifications to be a part of me and my mother's lives. Mom truly loves him and claims that he is so kind and respectful towards her. So I had no problem with him.

Should I really explain the actual problem? Chances are that you already know. That would be his daughter.

You fans out there could try your hardest to make me and Tris become the best of friends, however, that was never going to happen. We despised each other just because we were best friends with the same girl! Now, you are probably thinking how ridiculous that reasoning is, but hear me out. Would you be down in the dumps if a stranger around your age was best friends with your best friend? Your heart would shatter because you thought that you were special to your best friend, especially when you felt lonely for years!

That was how I felt. I also could tell that was how Tris was feeling too. To be honest, I felt a little angry towards Kara.

Why did she not tell us about each other when she was alive?

Between me and Tris was the box of things that Kara wished us to have in her will. But neither of us really had the curiosity to go through it. We just had our heads turned away from each other, staring out the windows.

Lila and Cara were in front. Lila, of course, was driving, seeing that it was her car, and Cara was in the passenger seat and going through the suitcase, flipping paper after paper.

"We are almost home, girls," Lila informed us.

My eyes darted to Tris, and I broke the silence in the back.

"Sorry that I have to correct you on this, but it is my home. Tris does not live there. Only me and my mom."

"Ah. My apologies."

"Lila, are you not going to apologize for making them believe that Kara was still alive and hiding in that house?" Cara whispered. Though, we could hear her clearly.

"Yes. I apologize that I freaked you girls out. However..."

Cara facepalmed. "Not again..."

"...I am not saying sorry that I told you that Kara was in there because I am telling you that she was."

"Kara is not on this planet anymore," Tris stated. "She is long gone."

"That may be true, but what about her ghost?"

Cara set the papers that she was holding neatly back inside the suitcase. "We have been over this. There are no such things as ghosts."

"In the real world, there are no ghosts. But here, there most certainly are. We are in the fictional world. In a fictional town. And here in Forlot, anything can happen."

I suddenly became curious at that last part. But just how true was it? After all, if this was a supposed fictional town, why was it real to all the townsfolk who lived here?

"Anything can happen in Forlot?" I repeated. "Like what?"

Lila cleared her throat. "Anything, even the impossible, could and might happen in Forlot. And there all sorts of creatures. Ghosts. Zombies. Even aliens."

I felt a lump in my throat as if my heart jumped up into my own throat. When she said the word "aliens," it made me think of those bizarre girls. Tris must have been also sharing the same feeling because she was looking at me for the first time since we got in the car. After about a minute, I returned the gaze to her.

We did not say a word. Not a peep. We just stared at each other as if we could read each other's thoughts.

We nearly leaped out of our seats when we heard a couple of clonk! sounds.

Clonk! Clonk!

It came from the back of the car and sounded like something pushing against the metal that was part of Lila's car.

When we had calmed ourselves down, Tris and I shifted our bodies and glued our eyes to the back.

Lila must have seen us through her rear view mirror because she asked, "What are you girls doing?"

Then we heard beeping noises. The same sounds that we were introduced to earlier when we pulled out the compass from the box.

"That is the compass, everyone," Lila reassured us. "It is in the suitcase. Cara, could you shut that off?"

Cara picked up the compass and tried to get it to stop, but it was no use. "Lila, the compass does not have a switch to turn off. It will shut off automatically."

"I want it to stop beeping now! I am driving, and it is distracting me."

"Then what do you suppose that I do? Smash it?"

"Yes. Do that. As a matter of fact, smash it on the dashboard."

"But...we cannot destroy it. It belongs to the—"

"Either it gets destroyed or we die by it!"

Tris and I were not paying any attention to their arguing. We gasped as we watched two figures slide down to the outside of the back window.

They were Wendow and Triso. They had joined the ride.