Chapter Sixteen

TRIS' P.O.V.

You could not resist reading this chapter. You are already hooked with this book and want to continue. Heck, you might want to finish the story by the end of the day.

Whatever the case may be, you and I can both agree that you were shocked that my dad and Wendy's mother were arrested and really want to know why.

I should start off by giving you the good news. Dad and Winnie ended up not getting arrested by the officer. The cop claimed that they were doing something that was illegal in Forlot. Actually, it was two things.

Winnie and my dad explained to the cop and convinced him to let them off the hook. They said that they had no idea that those two things were forbidden in the town of Forlot and promised that they would put them to a stop.

Admittedly, I found it funny that neither of them knew about the specific rule. After all, the four of us had been living in Forlot for a while.

Now, you might be wondering what the dangerous crimes were. What serious offenses did two grown adults who were mature - I think - do? Well, I will tell you. Let me just inform you that you will be surprised. Probably in disbelief.

In Forlot, it is illegal to get married and to have a marriage license. Ridiculous, huh? And I was not the only one who thought so. Wendy agreed with me for once since we met. Even Wendow and Triso.

You heard me, folks. Two aliens from another planet who hated arrange marriages thought that law was strange and out of nowhere.

I knew a few things about Forlot, but I had never actually sat down and studied the rules. For one thing, I assumed that the laws in the town would be reasonable, and most of them were. Well, up to a point.

After doing some research, I found this list online.

THINGS THAT YOU CANNOT DO IN FORLOT:

1. Getting Married/Owning Marriage License

2. Smoking

3. Drinking (you know what we mean)

4. Getting Pregnant

5. Watching R-Rated Movies/Inappropriate Shows

6. Worshipping Real Worlders

7. Christians Disrespecting "Non-Fiends"

8. Using Money

9. Getting/Having Tattoos

10. Advanced Math

11. Subjects That Schools Teach In Real World

12. Dishonoring The Lord

13. Using Social Media

Do not lie to me that your own face twisted because you were either disgusted or confused. Or both.

Why did these laws even exist?

Little did I know that I would have my answer soon...

I had been on my laptop, researching question after question that night. I was unable to get any sleep. This is not unusual, for I am the type of girl who needs clear and reasonable answers to my questions.

My dad decided without my consent that he and I should sleep at the Thompsons' house that very night. He even said that I could sleep in Wendy's room until I get my very own room.

Yeah. I was not happy about that, and neither was Wendy.

Wendy's bedroom was not that big and roomy, so it was hard to fit four people in there.

Oh, did I forget to mention Wendow and Triso? They wanted to stay with us for the night and practically begged me and Wendy.

"I will have to ask our parents," I said. I was only one step out of the room, when Wendow pulled me back in.

She spun me around so that I was facing her. She looked...ticked.

"You cannot tell the parents about me and Triso," Wendow said. Her voice was low, very low...and it creeped me out.

"Why not?" Wendy asked.

"They cannot know that we are here and that we are aliens."

I managed to get Wendow's hands off me. "They will never know. They do not believe in aliens."

Triso played with a strand of her hair. "You guys did not believe that my sister and I were aliens. Now, you do. What is your excuse?"

To make a long story short, Wendy and I did not tell our parents about the aliens and ended up allowing Wendow and Triso to stay with us...for now.

As if things could not get worse...

It was morning. Well, there was still a purple sky, but it was morning nevertheless.

You know what that means. School.

Because of my rapid searches and my impatience, I did not get any sleep. You would think that I would be tired, but oddly enough, I was prepared for a school day. Okay, so maybe I was a little tired, but that was not going to stop me from having a good day at school...

...despite my best friend being gone.

I was lying in a sleeping bag and quietly slipped out of it, hoping to not disturb the others. I tiptoed to Wendy's dresser, which was across the room, and examined myself in the mirror. I was just glad that I had no bags under my eyes.

I decided to awaken Wendy and quietly went over to her bed. I placed a hand on her side and gently shook her, telling her softly to wake up.

"Wendy. Wendy, it is time to get up. We have school."

I honestly have no clue as to how they heard me.

Wendow and Triso were also lying in sleeping bags. Their eyes opened, and they sat up.

"School?" Wendow said.

"School? I want to go to school too!" Triso exclaimed excitedly.

"Me too!"

A scream almost escaped my throat - almost - and I shushed them.

"Why do you want to go to school?" I whispered. "You told me and Wendy yesterday that you already went to school."

"Yeah. But if our friends are going to school..." Triso started.

"...then we are going to school too!" Wendow finished.

I facepalmed. I knew that this was going to end horribly.

And you know what? I was right.