Chapter Forty-Five

TRIS' P.O.V.

A small, bright red patch had formed in the middle of my palm. However, I did not find that out until later that day. Why? 'Cause my brain was no longer focused on the pain, which caused that aching pain to disappear fast. I could feel the wheels in my mind slowly begin moving. Turning and turning.

I did not take my eyes off the hologram for even a second. I was shocked - and confused. I had many questions.

What was the hologram doing? Did it activate itself? If so, why? It does know that it is not Kara...does it? The computer should obviously be smart enough to know that technology cannot have children who are part alien and part human.

Hold on. I just realized something. If Kara's daughters have my and Wendy's DNAs...does that mean that they are our sisters?

Eh. Being related to sisters who are half alien is not the worst thing in the world. Besides, Wendy and I already warmed up to them.

Hologram Kara gasped and pressed her hands to her cheeks. "Wendow! Triso! Oh my gosh." She lowered her arms to her sides and collapsed to her knees. "I am so sorry. This should not have happened..."

"Guess what, Kara? It did," Pompus told the hologram. "It probably would not have if you came back to me. Back to my side. Then your precious 'daughters' would not be paying for your mistakes."

She tilted her head all the way to see the vicious leader. I overheard her. Like that she choked on her tears.

Was the computer being sad because it thought that it needed to be? 'Cause that is what the real Kara and other living creatures do?

"You fiend! You turned my only kids into freaks! Monsters!"

Pompus chuckled again. "And you promised that you would be an excellent mother to your children when I gave you the order to not have any kids."

"I am a wonderful mother to them! I gave them life and everything else that they would need!"

"Hmm. That may be true - maybe not - but you never gave your daughters the one thing that they so desperately wanted. What they needed."

"Friends?" Hologram Kara guessed. "That is what you are referring to, right?" She motioned to me and Wendy. "I provided them with excellent friends."

"You may have. But I am not talking about them. I am also not talking about the clothes, food, or the tape that you left with them."

Hologram Kara's head lowered to the ground. It was as if she had realized what he meant. And she did.

"Is it coming to you now?" Pompus continued on. "I sure hope so. Otherwise, you would be a total embarrassment to all mothers everywhere."

There was a moment of silence. Then the hologram said something. She said it softly, but we all heard it as plain as day because it echoed off the walls.

"I know your tricks all too well, Pompus. But not this time. You will not push me down until I am out. You will not tear me down until I am in tears. And you will not - I repeat, you will not - murder my babies!"

"Mom!" Wendow and Triso whined.

Hologram Kara slowly staggered to her feet. "I am done being your puppet. I am done putting up with you crushing my dreams! And...I am so done with you supporting such sins! You...crybaby in a diaper!"

Everyone, including me and Wendy, gasped.

We could not believe what we had heard. The computer had insulted a powerful being!

Pompus' lips quivered, for he was growling, and he stood. "You dare insult me?" he said.

"Yep," Hologram Kara confirmed with no hesitation. "And I would do it again if I had the chance. Oh, wait. I can right now! You are—"

She did not get the chance to finish her sentence because Pompus quickly raised his hand, his thumb and fingers uncoiled, and black substance that was surrounded by white light shot out and hit her. Hit her hard.

The black substance engulfed the hologram. Wendy and I hugged each other and shut our eyes until it was over.

"Mom!" Triso and Wendow shrieked. "Wah!"

And they say that they are not babies.

Seconds later, it was over. I assumed that Pompus' power had destroyed the small device. Destroyed the hologram.

So it was no surprise that I was shocked that the hologram was still there!

"How...?" I choked out.

"You cannot get rid of me that easily," Hologram Kara remarked. "I am a hologram."

"Not for long," Pompus said. "My powers will pull you from that device. I can do that, you know."

Another black substance shot out, more powerful than the last one, and hit her. It soon vanished, but the hologram remained.

At this point, Pompus was ticked.

"Why, you little—"

Once again, another black substance. And once again, Hologram Kara remained.

"Ugh! Do not get smart with me! The only thing that I desire is for you to be with me! If you are not willing to come back home and be by my side...I will make sure that you do!"

A black substance, much bigger and more powerful than the last three, shot out and hit her hard. Alas, even that was no match for her.

Pompus was extremely frustrated. "Forget about your daughters being babies! If anyone is the baby around here, it is you!"

"Says the guy who does not like when things do not go his way," Hologram Kara pointed out, roasting him.

You should have seen the look on Pompus' face. He covered his mouth and looked embarrassed.

The hologram exploded, and the small device blew up. Do not worry. Everybody survived.

Wendy and I pulled away from each other, and Wendy asked, "What about Wendow and Triso?"

We felt hands on our shoulders and spun around. You will never believe who it was.

Kara.