Chapter Seventeen

WENDY'S P.O.V.

Let me just say that I was not delighted when I found out from Tris that Wendow and Triso were coming to school. I admit that I was in a bit of a panic and thought about every event that could go wrong.

I know, I know. Worrying will not solve anything and only make things worse, but how could I not worry? Two aliens who obviously have not done enough research on us humans are going to a school meant for the humans. Things can and will go wrong.

However, despite my doubts on Wendow and Triso, it was not that bad. I mean, they could have handled each situation like a real human being would, but neither of them caused a commotion, which I was more than happy about.

Sadly, I cannot say the same for Tris. I swear that she and I are complete opposites. I was the girl with her head in the clouds, and she was the girl who was too focused on what was happening in the real world. Much too focused.

Tris and I had on our backpacks and were walking down the sidewalk. The sidewalk was so wide that Wendow and Triso managed to squeeze in between us. Wendow was on my side, and Triso was on Tris' side.

"Where are your backpacks?" I asked. I noticed off the bat that they had nothing on them.

Okay, okay. They were wearing clothes. That was not what I meant. What I was referring to was that not only did not have backpacks, but they were holding no school supplies. No notebooks. No pencils. Nada.

"We do not have backpacks," Wendow admitted.

"We do not need them," Triso added.

"But that is how you are supposed to transport your stuff from one place to another," Tris explained to them. "Speaking of which, where are your supplies?"

"Hmm?" Triso looked at her. "What are those?"

"You know. School supplies. You use them at school."

Neither of the aliens responded to that. It was so silent around us now that you could hear a cricket.

Tris slapped her palm against her forehead and slowly moved it down the middle of her face. I had the feeling that she was getting sick of them.

I finally decided to break the silence. "Wendow. Triso. Did either of you or any of your classmates have objects to use back when you were in school?"

The girls immediately turned their heads to me. No longer were they confused. They narrowed their eyebrows, like that they were not pleased by my question.

"Duh. Of course not," Triso replied. There was a hint of anger in her voice.

"Yeah," Wendow said. "Did you forget that we told you that the kids, including us, back on our planet attended school as eggs? How the heck were we supposed to write and draw and do all the fun things that you humans get to do when were legitimately eggs?"

Her sister crossed her arms and huffed. "It is not fair. You humans get to do all the cool stuff. Like smoking and getting tattoos."

"Uh, I do not think that smoking and having tattoos are good things," Tris stated.

Wendow glared at her. "Well, if they are not wise things to do, why do you humans do it? You guys claim that when you do those kinds of things, you feel better than before."

"We are humans," I answered her question for Tris. "Our species is not perfect. We all make mistakes from time to time."

Triso played with a strand of her hair. "That is not what our school taught us."

Tris put a hand on her hip. "Your school has more research to do on us humans."

We finally arrived at the school grounds, and as we were making our way in, Triso pointed a finger up at the school roof.

"Ooh! Can we climb to the roof and get into your school through the chimney?"

Tris and I looked at each other, and then back at her.

"No," Tris denied firmly.

"But...it is what all the kids at our school did," Wendow explained the weird reasoning. "It was the only way for us to get in."

I motioned to the two front doors. "You see these?"

Wendow nodded. "Yeah."

"We are aliens. Not stupid," Triso stated.

"What do you think that they are?" Tris asked them.

Without giving it much thought, they gave us in unison such a ridiculous answer.

"Chocolate bars."

Tris and I exchanged glances once again, and then turned our attentions back to the aliens.

"What makes you think that they are chocolate bars?" I asked them. I really wanted to know why they thought what they thought. Then again, they are aliens.

"You see..." Wendow began explaining it in detail. "...they are two separate chocolate bars. They are rectangles and the color blue—"

Tris immediately cut her off. "Let me stop you right there. Chocolate bars are not blue. They are...well, chocolate. The color brown."

Their eyes widening, they glanced at each other. Their mouths dropped open, and they slowly turned back to us.

"You eat what people try to get rid of?!" they cried in unison. "Ew!"

Just then, two girls walked over to where we were, and Wendow pointed frantically at a chocolate bar that one of the girls was holding. It was unwrapped, and a bite was already taken out of it.

"Chocolate!" Wendow screamed at the top of her lungs. That is, if their species are born with lungs.

"Chocolate!" Triso repeated.

Before Tris or I could get a word out, the aliens dashed up to the two girls. Triso snatched the candy bar out of the girl's hand, threw it on the ground, and stomped on it.

"Hey! That was mine!" the girl exclaimed angrily.

"Who do you think that you are?" the other girl demanded.

"We are aliens!" Wendow and Triso announced at the same time.