Chapter Forty-Eight

Paul - you should remember him - was waiting outside for his boss, Dr. Maxwell. He had his hands behind his back and was rocking back and forth on the heels of his shoes.

He was in front of Zeolex, the building where he and Dr. Maxwell worked. Originally, Dr. O'Connor owned the company, but because of Ava, he was set up. Now, Dr. Maxwell owned it and could not be happier.

Paul was staring up at the dark blue sky as he breathed in the fresh air. Oh, how tired he was. It was getting late, and he just desired a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, he could not go home. At least, not yet. Dr. Maxwell called him an hour ago and demanded that the bus driver see him right away.

Of course, Paul could not decline. Maxwell would kill him - literally kill him - if he did not show up.

The bus driver tried to be patient. After all, he was named after Paul from the Bible, so he wanted to set a good example. However, as the minutes passed, he became impatient.

"Ugh. Come on, Maxwell," he muttered. "I have to get up early tomorrow. I am also the only driver who operates all the buses in Forlot."

"Paul?"

Paul gasped and jumped a little. He spun around and spotted his boss.

"H-hi, Maxwell. How long have you been standing there?"

"Oh, not long. But I did hear you mumble something under your breath."

"Y-you did?"

"Yep. Care to tell me what you mumbled? And do not lie to me."

"Um...well..." He rubbed the back of his neck, and his face was now covered in sweat. "...you see..."

"Forget it. I...we have...more important matters to get through."

Dr. Maxwell was holding his blue coat and tossed it to Paul. Paul caught it and swung it over his arm.

"How is our subject doing?" the scientist asked.

"You mean the crazy man?"

"Yes. That is the only subject that we have. Did you check on him when you first arrived?"

"You know that I always do, Maxwell."

"And...how is he?"

"Not well. He spread a rumor that made it to the newspapers."

"What was the rumor?"

"He lied that a Forlot citizen by the name of Kara took her life by jumping off the bridge. Turns out, that never happened."

"Oh, dear. We simply cannot have him doing that sort of thing again. Stay here. I will be back shortly."

Dr. Maxwell opened the front door and stepped inside. He shut the door behind him and made his way through the building. It was a long walk to his destination, and he hated long walks, but it was going to be worth it.

At the end of a narrow hall was a brown door with no doorknob. He strolled up to the door and gave it a gentle knock.

"Dr. Frost? We need to talk. About your daughter."