Chapter Twenty-Five

WENDY'S P.O.V.

When I reached the top of the stairs, I took a glance back. I could see the kitchen easily, which meant that I could see Tris chatting away on the phone. I was surprised that she had not used my cellphone. Hmm. Probably because she still did not like me.

Well, I still did not like her. I was only acting nice because both of us had been through one confusing and bizarre day, and the last thing that either of us needed was to fight with each other.

I strolled into my bedroom, which was across from the staircase, and my eyes darted all around.

Both my and Tris' belongings were where they were supposed to be. Nothing seemed to be out of place. I had planned on checking this morning, but we had to get moving if we did not want to be late for school.

No, we did not sleep in. The reason that we were so occupied that morning was because of Wendow and Triso. We had to teach them personal hygiene, such as brushing your teeth, help them get dressed - the same clothes as the day before - and feed them. And let me tell you that giving them something that they would actually eat was harder than the most complex math problem ever!

They wanted their favorite cereal. Spiders 'N Ants. Of course, Tris and I were grossed out by that and told the aliens that if they desired to act like true humans so that they could blend into society, they would have to eat human food.

Wendow and Triso were disappointed by this, but understood and asked what there was available to eat.

Would you believe that it took me and Tris over a half an hour to explain the food options? And yes, we had to explain each option three times.

Wendow and Triso kept changing their food choices until Tris finally put her foot down and told them that they were going to have human cereal, seeing that it is the easiest breakfast to make. You just pour some cereal and milk into a bowl.

Man. Just thinking about all of that made me tired.

I jumped onto my bed and laid my head on the pillow as I had my arms and legs out from the rest of my body. I soon found myself dozing off, and then waking up. Dozing off, and then waking up.

I did that for five minutes straight before I noticed something from the corner of my eye.

I turned onto my side and realized what I had been seeing was Wendow and Triso's suitcase. It was open, and the things in there had not been packed up neatly. The clothes were unfolded, and most of the books were bent.

I do not know why, but I suddenly became curious at one of the items in the suitcase. It was a small, black case that had a zipper.

"What is inside of it?" I said to myself.

I needed to know, or my question would bother me for the rest of the day. Possibly for the rest of my life.

I scrambled out of bed and walked up to my bedroom door. I poked my head out to see if anyone, even though that Tris was the only one at my house, was in the hall.

Nope. The hall was clear. Clear and quiet.

I pulled my head back, quietly closed my door, and tiptoed to the suitcase. I got on my knees and picked up the black case. The case was smooth against my fingers.

I grabbed ahold of the zipper and slowly unzipped the case. There was silence in the house, so I did not want Tris to hear.

I opened the case - and was surprised at what I had discovered.

It was a VHS tape. You know. Those tapes that were used before CDs.

Why did Triso and Wendow have a VHS tape? Actually, the real question that I should be asking is what was on it?

Now, you readers might be thinking that I should not worry about what it is on it because it does not belong to me.

I should remind you that Tris and I were dealing with real aliens. What if there was something evil on the tape? What if Triso and Wendow had a secret plan on it that would doom our planet?

Now do you understand why I had to find out? And I would have sooner...

...if not for the fact that I did not own a VHS player.

I gasped and snapped my fingers. But I know who does!

I stood back up and grabbed my small, pink purse. I unzipped it, slid the tape inside, and zipped it back up.

I raced down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Tris. Tris!" I called to her. "We need to return to the school. I found something that we both might want to see."

I was next to her - and noticed that something was not right.

Tris had already hung up on the phone. Her legs were quivering, and she was hugging herself. She seemed...scared.

"Tris, what is the matter with you?" I asked. "Did you get us in trouble with the school?"

She looked at me and shook her head slowly. "I...I never called our school."

"What? Why not? You said that you would."

"I did. I called the right number and even overheard kids chatting in the background. But..."

"But what?"

"...never mind. It was probably a prank call anyway."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well...the person on the other end...was a male. It was easy to tell because of his voice. He asked me questions. Questions about what we had been through at school with Wendow and Triso. The guy said that his name was Pompus."

"Pompus? That is a stupid name."

"I know, right? And...he has something to do with Kara's death."