Chapter Forty

WENDY'S P.O.V.

Tris and I had returned to the private room. We were sitting on the floor with our legs crossed and chatting away with Hologram Kara, who was also sitting.

We laughed and remembered the memories of us and the real Kara. In fact, Tris and I were having such a blast that we completely forgot this was not Kara. Even with Hologram Kara's robotic laughs, we treated her as if she were the real deal.

"Do you remember, Kara, when we partnered up and had to present a fanfiction project?" Tris said. "You had a bit of stage fright, but I helped you get through it."

"Ah. I think...yes. Yes, I do," Hologram Kara replied. "I do recall that the fanfiction was based on a show about a boy who finds a mysterious journal."

"Did you enjoy that show?" I asked. I was curious whether Tris liked it or not because I am a fan of it.

"Hmm. I will admit that I did not like the show at first glance. However, thanks to Kara..." She motioned to the hologram. "...I really took a liking to it. She insisted that I give it a chance."

Hologram Kara grinned. "And you say that you are not fond of the fictional world."

I suddenly remembered something hilarious and giggled.

"What is so funny, Wendy?" Tris questioned.

I forced myself to stop giggling so that I could talk. "You are going to get a kick out of what I am about to tell you. Heck, you might not even believe me at first."

"Oh, yeah?" She placed her hands on her hips. "Give it to me."

I opened my mouth, but the only noise that escaped was a sharp cry.

Hologram Kara had a hand clenched into a fist and punched Tris in the stomach. It must have been a hard impact because Tris fell on her back. She breathed as if she were giving birth and gently rubbed her belly.

"Tris! Are you okay?" I glared at the hologram. "Why did you do that?!"

"Was I not supposed to? My apologies," Hologram Kara said. "I was only doing what my programming tells me to do. When a person says the phrase 'give it to me,' my programming assumes that he or she encourages a swift punch."

"I have news for you, Kara. It sometimes does not mean..." I let my voice trail off. I could feel my anger die down, and it was replaced by sadness.

"Wendy?" Hologram Kara said. "Did I make you mad? Please tell me. I can always change my programming."

I did not answer her and stood. I grabbed ahold of Tris and helped her up.

"Will you be alright, Tris?"

"I think so. For the time being."

I slowly pulled away from her. "Did you...hear what Kara said...about her programming?"

"Every word that came out of that hologram's mouth...I heard." She gulped. "Wendy...are you thinking what I am thinking?"

"All the way."

"How did we become so dumb, Wendy? We are talking to a hologram. A computer!"

"Guys?" Hologram Kara stood up. "If you are upset with me being a computer, then I can be something else. Somebody else. Please. You name it, and my programming will do the rest."

"No. Please," I declined. "There is no need to."

"Why not? I am sensing that you are not happy."

"Yes. Well...we have been sad for a while now. To be more specific, grieving."

"Griev...ing?"

"You know. When you miss a loved one," Tris explained as best as she could. "Usually when they pass."

"Interesting. This is the first that I have heard of it. My programming has happy, sad, mad...not this 'grieving.'"

"You are nothing but a computer. A computer who identifies feelings and does not actually experience them."

"So is that it? You are unhappy that I am unable to develop the same feelings as you humans do?"

"We are not unhappy because of you," I said. "We are not grieving because of you. We realized that...yeah. You may look like Kara. You may have her memories. But that does not mean that you are Kara."

"The real Kara...our real friend...was depressed," Tris stated. "She was happy. However, in the darkest shadows, she was very depressed. She tried to be happy, but how could she? People are cruel, so she assumed that there was only one way to free herself from the prison of this galaxy. To...take herself."

"Take herself? To where?"

I knew that this was not the right time to roll my eyes, but I did anyway. That "joke" was getting old.

"She committed..." I paused and brought my face close to her ear, whispering the word to her.

"Ah. You mean—"

"Shh!" I pulled my head back and put a finger over my lips. "Do not blurt out the word."

"Why not? It has already been mentioned in this book at least once. Besides, it is not a bad word."

"No, it is not," Tris agreed. "It is just an act that you should never, understand any circumstances, do or attempt. It is a sin."

"So what are you supposed to do instead? Live with people that you do not love?"

"Hey! Bite your hologram tongue! There are people out there who love you! We love you!"

Hologram Kara was confused. "You...love me?"

"As your best friends, yes!" I added. "Tris and I are straight, and we still care for you! We...just need you to know that. Even if you are rotting in...you know."

Hologram Kara blinked a couple of times. She gently swung her arms back and forth, staying silent.

Finally, she said, "You still think that I am her, do you? You are launching out your anger at me. A computer. No matter what you do, I cannot and will not be able to fill those holes deep within both of your hearts."