Chapter Twelve

TRIS' P.O.V.

Lila pulled up the car in front of a house, which happened to be our - no, Wendy's - home.

I just hoped that Dad would not move in with Ms. Thompson and her dumb daughter and force me to do the same. My dad was ready to be in a new relationship, but he was not prepared for the consequences of moving in with his girlfriend whom he just met!

The beeping from the compass stopped, and I heard Lila let out a sigh of relief. She turned to Cara and thanked her for finally taking care of that compass.

I could not get a glimpse of Cara's face, but I knew that she was at a lost for words because there was confusion in her voice.

"You are welcome, Lila, but I...I did not stop it."

"What? Of course you did," Lila insisted. "You got that darn thing to shut up. And just in time too because we just arrived at Wendy's house." She put a hand up to her ear. "I do not hear any annoying beeps. Do you?"

"No. It is quiet now because the compass stopped the noises on its own. I told you. It is automatic."

She gripped her other hand on the steering wheel. "I have got to get that stupid compass fixed."

Neither Lila nor Cara had to announce that we were at our destination because Wendy and I were already scrambling out of the car. I unbuckled my seatbelt, and Wendy was already out of the car. As soon as I was about to push my car door open, I spotted a person standing by my door.

It should have been no surprise that it was Wendy. She opened my car door for me.

"Here you go," she said.

At first, I was taken aback by her act of kindness towards me. It came out of nowhere! Then I grew suspicious.

Was she up to something? Was she going to get back at me?

"This is a trick," I said to her, staying inside the car. "We both know that we do not care for each other."

She nodded. "I know that."

"So why are you holding the door open for me? Why are you acting nice to me now? Are you planning a trap for me?"

A confused look plastered on her face. "A trap? I have no traps for you. I do not even have my leg out for you to trip over."

"You are lying. I bet that you do." I tilted my head to the ground. Neither of her legs were out. They were both where the rest of her was.

So she was not planning to trip me. What else was there?

Wendy motioned around us. "You see any traps or tricks? I do not."

I poked my head out, scanned the area...and realized that she was correct. The area was clear. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Was she truly being nice after all?

"Come out of the car," she said, lowering her voice to a whisper. "We need to check the back of the car."

She was right about that. We had some investigating to do.

"Right," I responded. "I almost forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder. And...sorry that I doubted you."

I stepped out of the car, and before I came to terms as to what had happened, I was greeted with the road.

"Ouch!"

I laid on my stomach and supported myself using both my arms and elbows. I watched a pair of legs strolling up to me and standing in front of my face. I recognized the pants and knew that it was Wendy.

"Ha. Gotcha," she said.

When I realized it was her, I remembered why I had fallen. I had tripped over Wendy's leg. She held out her leg at the last minute, and I was not even looking!

I was filled with rage and scrambled to my feet. I had the desire to punch her face, but I did not want to make a scene in front of the two lawyers. Instead, I picked up the box, lifted up my foot and slammed the car door with it, and headed inside.

Wendy followed me, and before she followed me into her home, I overheard her asking Lila and Cara if they would like to come in and have something to drink. Both of the lawyers declined.

"Sorry, but we cannot," Lila said.

"We have other important errands to run, but we will check on you girls soon," Cara added.

Lila smiled and nodded in agreement. "You girls take care."

The car started up and sped off into the distance. Wendy entered her house, and we met up in the kitchen. I set the box on the table and glared at her.

"What?" she said as if she did not know why I was ticked.

"First of all, we forgot to investigate the back of the car," I explained.

"I already did, Tris. When they drove off. There was nothing hanging on the back of the car."

"Yeah, yeah. And second of all..." I slowly walked up to her - and slapped her face. "...that."

She pulled her head back and placed a hand on the place where I had slapped her. She looked at me and narrowed her eyebrows.

"What was that for?!"

"You know! And you had it coming!"

"Well, you had it coming too!"

"You made me trip!"

"That was because you told me things that I did not need to know! I am a wreck!"

"You are right. You are a wreck. 'Cause you were hurt that I told you spider facts!"

We were so busy arguing that we did not realize that Wendow and Triso had stepped into the kitchen.

"Hey, guys," Wendow greeted with a smile. "So glad to see you two again."

"Looks like that the four of us will be roommates," Triso stated.

The aliens squealed with delight.