ch.17

Calum's initial plan was to wake up early and sneak out before Ariana could notice he was gone

Calum's initial plan was to wake up early and sneak out before Ariana could notice he was gone. He didn't want to involve her in anything and thought that this would be the perfect way to not cause any issues. But his plan failed when he woke up to an empty spot, and the smell of bacon. "Fuck." He groaned. As he climbed out of bed and left his room, he saw Ariana outside on the balcony, setting up a little breakfast nook.

He leaned against the door, quiet to not mess up her focus. She had the perfect setup, eggs, bacon and toast, with a cup of orange juice and she used one of his old wine bottles for decoration with a few flowers in it. "It's rude to stare at people you know, and not say good morning. We've been over this before babe." Ariana said. Calum smiled as Ariana finished setting up. "Sorry, I wasn't expecting you to be up so early making breakfast."

Ariana pulled Calum further outside for him to sit and enjoy his meal. "Well I wanted to do something nice for you." Ariana said. They began to devour their breakfast in silence, Calum not wanting to come clean about where he had to go. "You sleep okay?" Calum asked. "Of course, did you?"

"I was fine I guess."

"What are you not telling me?" Calum furrowed his brows, and Ariana crossed her arms over her chest and sat back in the chair. "I'm not not telling you anything." Calum lied. "You only make stupid small talk when you're nervous, or when you're lying. You have nothing to be nervous about so what are you lying to me about?"

"I'm not lying about anything-"

"Does it have to do with that phone call?" Ariana said. "What phone call?" Ariana rolled her eyes. "The phone from yesterday night, before we went to bed." She said. "That phone call is not important." Calum began to stuff his face as Ariana continued to stare at him. "Just tell me it is, why are you being so weird?"

"I'm not being weird, the phone call isn't anything to worry about."

"Well you not telling me anything is making me worry." Ariana exclaimed. She reached over and touched Calum's hand, forcing him to finally look her in the eye. "You don't have to keep things from me." She said softly. He didn't want to lie to her, but admitting that he was rejoining a gang, would ruin everything they've fought so hard for. "It was just about Ashton, they said they might've found his body. The police want me to come and look at it." He said.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Ariana asked. "No it'll be better if I go on my own. Besides, you've got class today." He said. "Calum school is not important right now. I want to be here for you." Ariana said. "If you want to be here for me, then I need you to be there. I want you to be safe. Luke got killed just outside, I can't leave you here alone. You being here now is a danger in itself." Calum said.

"But I know you won't let anything bad happen to me." Calum sighed. "It doesn't matter, this is bigger than what I thought it was. I'm not gonna debate with you on this, the only way to keep you safe is for you to not be here right now."