Chapter One

I drag my feet as I walk through the doors of the school. I head straight for my locker, not making eye contact with anyone else in the hall. I open my locker with a groan and unzip my backpack. I grab supplies that I won't need until after lunch and shove them into my locker.

"Crystal!" I jump slightly and turn to face my best friend, Layla, whose bright blue eyes twinkle as she smiles at me.

"Hey, Layla," I sigh.

"Yikes, Crystal, you feeling okay?" she responds with a concerned look replacing her smile.

I turn back toward my locker and look into the small mirror stuck to the back wall. I really do look terrible. My emerald green eyes have a slightly glazed look, and there are dark circles underneath them. My light brown hair is styled in an extremely messy bun, as I was too lazy to do anything else with it.

I sigh once more, "Yeah, I'm fine Layla. I just had a lot of homework and didn't fall asleep until late."

"Aw, that sucks. Want me to do your hair for you? We have a few more minutes until we need to get to homeroom. I can braid it, like mine!" she says, gesturing to her auburn hair styled in a braid reaching a little below her shoulders.

I shrug, "Sure. Why not."

First chapter done! Hope you enjoy it!