Almost There

The six days it took them to travel were ruthless. Thorin and Talia were both growing slow and weak. It was so hot, and Thorin was beginning to feel like lead. Pain seethed where his wound continued to fester, and he could feel himself growing lousy from the steady blood loss. He was slowly getting ready for today's march upon Mount Doom. They were almost there. It was almost over.

The Dwarf king was taking out the water canteens when he heard what sounded like spitting. Thorin turned around to see Talia trying to lie on her side, spitting out the blood that was running out of her nose and down her face. Thorin was on his knees by her side right away, using his cloak to try to stop the bleeding. They both sat together in silence until her nosebleed was over. Deep red stains were left on Talia's chin, and Thorin shook his head in worry.

What had caused this? Was it her illness? The Dwarf king placed his hand against Talia's forehead. He didn't even have to guess anymore. She had a horrible fever that had only shown itself more throughout the journey. Whatever this illness was, it was making her worse. On top of all that, she was injured, exhausted, and burdened by the Ring. His poor Talia was falling apart. But Thorin furrowed his eyebrows when he found her smiling. "What?" he asked.

"Not too long ago, I threw up on your clothes. And now I've bled all over them. What's next?" she tiredly chuckled.

That brought a small smile to his face. "There won't be a "next". I'm never letting you near my clothes again."

Talia raised her brows and smirked. "Really? So...if I ever wanted to hug you again...I'd have to wait for you to take everything off first?" 

Thorin's smile faded and his eyes narrowed at her playful twisting of his words. "Cheeky woman." he remarked.

Talia let out an exhausted laugh. "You know, I think I could really use one right now actually. You'd better be quick." she snorted.

Now that brought a laugh out of Thorin. He hadn't felt this kind of relief in such a long time. He was so grateful to see his Talia come out of the shadows, even if it was just for a moment. The Dwarf king didn't hesitate to slide his arm beneath her back and gently lift her up into him. "Don't get too far ahead of me now." he smirked.

He wouldn't think about his worries now. He would enjoy this moment with his Talia. For all he knew, this could even be the last moment of time they would truly have together. Thorin would cherish this while he could. And he would be heartbroken once it came time to break that moment. They still had a ways to go before they reached their destination.

Thorin wasn't surprised when Talia crawled back into herself again, yet it gave him an ache in his chest all the same. They had been traveling for about an hour now, and they were already beginning to tire. Talia's gait was so concerningly wobbly. It looked more like she was sleep walking, and Thorin constantly had to make sure she was going in the right direction.

His wound hadn't stopped throbbing since they first started out. Thorin had worked and slaved away through illnesses and injuries plenty of times throughout his life, but...he couldn't recall a time when it had ever been this bad. He was trying everything at this point. He took shorter steps, allowed more frequent rest periods, he even loosened the pressure of his dressing, but hardly any of it gave him any kind of relief! How much longer would it be before he could no longer keep this from Talia? He was trying so terribly hard to stay strong for her. He couldn't risk adding more to her already heavy plate.

Thorin was about ready to call for another break when a yellow light came into his line of vision. He turned around and widened his eyes. "Get down Talia! Hide!" he shouted. The Eye of Sauron was on them. The Dwarf king ducked down quickly, only to find Talia staring right back at it. Her eyes glistened with pure fear, and within a second, she collapsed to the ground.