Chapter 41 - Where are you, Lydia?

Lydia stepped out of the car, breathing in the smoggy air of London as she smiled at the thick, grey clouds above. To the people rushing along the busy street it was just another ordinary dull day, but to Lydia it felt like freedom.

Traffic whizzed and whipped by, their horns sounding loudly around the air as people rushed about their business. Lydia smiled as she watched them go by, feeling grateful to be anywhere but at home.
Having gone out of her way to avoid crowds before, now all she wanted was to be part of it, to be part of something that felt...ordinary.

For the next few days she free, free from Sam's rules and his rage, but most of all she was free from home. Her once safe, comforting home had come to feel more like a prison lately than the safe haven she used to think of it as.

Lydia grinned at the thought that in less than twenty-four hours she'd be on a plane, flying halfway around the world and away from everything here that was weighing her down, including Sam's expectations for her to be the perfect little housewife and mother.

When he'd agreed she should go to Bora Bora on her own, Lydia had practically run upstairs and packed a suitcase, eager to get out the door and on the plane. The smile fell from her face when she remembered the messy pile of baggy t-shirt and leggings in her case.
When Sam had swept through her wardrobe like a hurricane, he'd taken every skirt, dress and fancy bikini with him, only to replace them with dull, ill-fitting clothes that hung from her slight frame like a sack.

Since the flight wasn't until almost 5 am, she'd booked a night in one of London's swankiest hotels, and after packing Gabriella off skiing with her friend earlier that morning, she'd tossed the half filled suitcase in the boot of her car and set off with a smile on her face, never once looking back at home.

"Can I help you with your bags Miss?" came a voice from behind.
Lydia, lost in her thoughts, jumped and let out a low shriek. 
"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you" smiled the bellman, apologetically.
Lydia shook her head as a hand clutched at her chest, feeling her heart beat fast, "It's okay. It was my fault I didn't see you coming. I was lost in my own world. 
"Is it your first time in London?" he asked
"No, I've been a few times before, but somehow today it feels like the first time" she smiled.
"Well let me get your bags and show you to your room so you can enjoy the city" he added.
"It's right here in the boot. I only have one case" she gestured, moving around to the back of the car.

The bellman looked at the huge case then hauled it out onto the waiting trolley and frowned at it's lightweight.
Lydia noticed the look on his face.
"I'm going on holiday, and thought that since I'm in the big city I may as well treat myself to some new holiday clothes, that's why I have a huge, practically empty case"
She smiled nonchalantly, there was no way she was about to admit that the reason she had no clothes to pack was because her fiance had thrown them all away. This holiday was an opportunity for her to be herself again and she wasn't about to let Sam ruin it.
"Well, you've come to the right place if you want to shop" replied the bellman.

Lydia followed him into the hotel and after checking in she was whisked up in the elevator to her room on the twelfth floor. Walking into the room she gasped and ran towards the balcony windows to look down at the incredible view of the city laid out around her.

Turning back to look around the room taking in the ornate dressing table  decorated with delicate little perfume bottles and lotions. Her eyes rested on the luxurious bed in the centre of the room as she smiled then ran towards it, letting out a squeal as her body fell and collapsed among the mountain of plush cushions and pillows.

An overwhelming feeling of exhilarating freedom washed over her as she landed in a heap on the bed. Now it was time to put her plan into action and fill her case with bright, beautiful sundresses and bikinis.
Lydia sat up on the bed and glanced down at the black jeans and baggy shirt hanging loosely from her body and sighed.