CHAPTER 43 - ANSWERS

Holding the phone to his ear, Cristiano groaned loudly upon hearing the same message he'd been hearing for the past few weeks as he tried to call Lydia.

Your call cannot be connected at this time. Please hang up and try again.

Ending the call, he tossed the phone towards the sofa and watched as it bounced and fell to the floor with a thud.

Running a hand roughly over his neck, he kicked the air in frustration as his mind raced, wondering what the hell was going on.
The last time he'd seen Lydia she'd promised to tell Sam it was over, that she was finally going to be his, but now he couldn't seem to get hold of her.

Barely able to sleep since Lydia had seemed to disappear from the face of the earth, he paced the room anxiously running a hand over the stubble of his jaw and yawned, wondering what he could do to find her, to see her, to touch her and feel her touch.

A few weeks ago he'd been on cloud nine, now he felt...deflated.

A thought flipped through his mind that maybe, just maybe she'd changed her mind...or maybe she'd been playing him all along and was never intending to leave Sam after all.
His heart almost skipped a beat at the thought. He knew Lydia and he knew she wouldn't be so cruel to just cut him from her life...would she?

Knowing he couldn't just sit around and do nothing, he grabbed his keys and raced out the door with one destination in mind.

Yanking open the door to Lydia's boutique, Cristiano marched inside, heading straight for the front desk where he could see Dani chatting on the phone.

"Where is she?" he demanded, "I need to talk to her"
"Uh, excuse me" replied Dani, looking up at him from her seat behind the desk and nodding to the phone receiver at her ear.
Cristiano frowned then looked around the shop as Dani continued to chat.
"Uh huh, yup. Yeah, yeah" she giggled into the phone.

Noticing the stares his presence was gaining from the few shoppers in the store, Cristiano tapped his hand impatiently on the desk to gain Dani's attention. She looked up at him and sneered before swinging her chair around, away from him.

Cristiano sighed and leaned over the desk to the phone, slamming his hand down on the button to end the call.

Dani quickly swung back around to face him.
"Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing?" she yelled.

Cristiano glanced over at the shoppers then back to Dani. "Keep your voice down, I'm attracting enough attention as it is"
"Well, maybe you shouldn't barge your way into someone's workplace and make a show of yourself. Especially with hair like that" she sniggered, pointing to his messy hair, "What's wrong? Just fall out of bed with one of your many whores?" she sneered.
"Really" he laughed, "Is that the best you can come up with?"

Dani narrowed her eyes at him, "What do you want anyway? I don't think we have anything in store for you"
"Although" she added, with a sarcastic grin. "You might be able to fit into that nice little sequin number we just got in. Shall I sort you a fitting room Mam?"
"Only if Lydia's in there too" he quipped.
"Eugh" she groaned, and turned to walk off, "What's with you, can't you just leave Lydia alone?"

Cristiano followed her over to a rail of dresses, "No, I can't. Now, just tell me where is she, is she here?"
Dani began rifling through the rail, "Like I'd tell you"
"So that's how you want to play it?" he replied, "You know, I could just go back there into that office and find out for myself, but I'm giving you the chance to tell me if she's here or not"

Dani stubbornly flared her eyes at him and Cristiano taking her gesture as a dare, made to walk towards the office when Dani grabbed his arm, stopping him in his tracks, "No, stop. She's not here"
"Are you sure about that?" he said, raising his eyebrows at her, "Or did Lydia tell you to tell me that?"