1

Phoenix King Harris

Dressed out in all black, I stood on the corner of the street with my head down and hands in my pockets. Black hoodie, black jeans and black shoes. My work uniform.

Been doing this shit since 10. Started out just watching niggas do what they do soon picking it up. Now here I am, 20, and doing the same shit I was doing at 10. Fucking ridiculous. But best believe this shit about to change real quick.

I heard footsteps to my right but didn't budge. My right hand grabbed the gun in my pocket and I put my hand on the trigger just in case a nigga want to try something. "Psst" I heard. Slowly looking up its another crackhead. "2" she said.

I looked around before reaching under my tongue and pulling out two small bags. She held the money out and I grabbed it exchanging the money and drugs.

When the drugs were in her hand, a light went off in her eyes and she rushed off.

I chuckled and stayed posted like I was until another customer came by. Not even a few minutes after that crack bitch left, a man walked up to me.

Dirty shirt, dirty jeans and fucked up shoes. Fucking 9.

"What you got?" He asked. This cop thought I was dumb as fuck. Its obvious he a nark.

"Shit man. Now get out my face"

The man pulled out $50. "I know you got something"

I shook my head "Naw I ain't got shit"

"Come on man I n-"

"Look" I barked "I ain't got shit now leave for you piss me off"

The man shook his head and walked off. Again, I put my hands in my pockets and posted up. This is a slow night.

I looked up and down the street before crossing it and behold, a cop car is driving by. I couldn't help but chuckle. Those niggas must of thought they could get me. Wrong.

Nariah Ayche'a Washington

I shoved my homework in my backpack and pushed it in the corner. Only two more weeks until I graduate. Most kids start slacking around this time but me? Naw, I need to keep my 4.0 and move out the hood. I've been in fort Lauderdale for about a month and its straight.

I was born here so its nothing new to me. Just the fact that I have to carry a bottle of pepper spray with me every time I leave but that's cool. Its for my protection.

"Dinner ready sweetie, but can you go to the store and get some jungle juice? We ran out" my mom said. I nodded and grabbed a ten out my dresser. I threw on some jeans and a tank top with my Jordan slides.

"This it?" The Indian man behind the counter asked me. I nodded and passed him the 10 and this dumb retarted bitch gave me back $4.

Let me break this down. I got a 50 cent honey bun, $2.50 jungle juice and a 50 cent Ritz soda. That comes up to $3.50.

"Naw give me the rest of my money" I said camly as I held my hand out.

"No change. Now go"

I chuckled. This man trying to get sprayed. "Listen man, I was having a good day. Please give me my change"

"No change now go" I reached in my pocket and sprayed him like he was a roach. I reached in the open register and took my change along with my bag. "Thank you. Have a nice day" I smiled, walking out.

I walked down the sidewalk eating my honey bun and drinking my soda when I saw this person walking closer to me. Its a man. I can tell by his walk and he wore all black.

Thought he was about to catch me slipping?

Wrong

I pulled out my pepper spray and held it. He passed right by me and the air that followed after him brushed against my face. Damn, he smell good.

"Thanks ma" he said lowly. I said that out loud? I chuckled to myself as I continued to walk home and eat my honey bun along with my soda.