5

Nariah Ayche'a Washington

"A prostitute? Really mom?" I yelled as tears ran down my face. Its been a few days after Phoenix and I had our conversation about helping out my mom. We're just getting back from my graduation ceremony and she tells me she thinking of being a prostitute.

"Yes, really Nariah. The bills are piling up and shit just overwhelming right now. These 2 jobs ain't doing shit" she shrugged wiping her tears. "We need the Money"

I sat on the couch next to her "Mom I'm 18. I can get a job and help. I don't mind doing that. But don't go so low as a prostitute. Things aren't that bad "

"Yes the fuck they are" she yelled jumping to her feet. "I already made up my mind and ain't no way you can change that"

I didn't reply right away but the perfect idea popped into my head "What if I can make around a grand every week? Will you reconsider?"

"You ain't doing nothing illegal to get the money are you?" She asked. I shook my head "Then how you making the money Nariah?" She folded her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes at me.

"A friend. He's into stuff like that. I'm sure I ask for help, he'll help me out"

She didn't say anything, just turned and walked to her room. I grabbed the car keys and rushed to the car. I needed him right now.

I unlocked his door with the key he gave me and walked to his room. "Phoenix" I said shaking him, my voice cracking.

He groaned and faced me and when he saw what condition I was in, he shot up. "What happen? Someone hurt you?" I shook my head and sniffles. He sighed in relieve and opened his arms for me. Kicking off my shoes, I crawled in his arms and cried into his cheat.

Nothing was said. All he did was rub my back and hold me tight. This is what I need.

"What happen ma?" He asked after I settled down. I sat up and he followed suit. He grabbed my hands and played with my fingers, waiting patiently for me to talk.

"My moms a prostitute" I mumbled, more tears running down my face. My mom is everything to me. I look up to her as a woman and for her to go and so this shit? It hurts. I respected her hard work ethic and now its like she taking the easy way out. Laying on her back for a few dollars.

"Damn" Phoenix mumbled. "What'd you do when she told you that?"

"I told her I could make $1000 at the end of every week if she reconsiders"

"And..."

I shrugged "She didn't say anything. Just walked off"

Phoenix pulled me into his chest and rubbed my back. "She's just trying to provide for you ma. "

"I know but I can help. She just won't let me" I cried "I look up to her. And it hurts so bad to know that being a prostitute is basically a last resort for her. All I want to do is help"

Phoenix didn't reply but he did kiss my forehead and held me tighter. I snuggled into him and soon, fell asleep.

"Are you Nariah Washington?" A police officer asked.

I nodded my head "Yes"

"And your mother, Natasha Washington right?" Again, I nodded. He removes his hat and looks at me with sad eyes "We found your mom beaten and raped in an ally a few hours ago...."

He continued talking but it seems like everything stopped. My whole world stopped. My breathing got heavier and I started to get hot yet it was almost 60 degrees out.

Next thing I know, I pass out.

I slowly open my eyes and sit up. I look around the room and see I'm still in Phoenix house. I sighed and wiped the sweat off my forehead.

That was the worse dream ever.

The room door opened and Phoenix walked in with a plate of food and orange juice. "How you feeling"? He asked passing the food and drink to me.

"Fine but I had the worse dream of my life" I started eating as Phoenix took a seat next to me on the bed.

"What about?" He asked.

"This officer came to my house and said he found my mom beaten and raped." I shook my head and took a bite of my toast "Crazy" I mumbled.

Phoenix cleared his throat "That wasn't a dream" he said low, making me choke on my toast. He quickly parted my back until I was good.

"What you mean? My mom is really dead?" I asked in shock. He nodded slowly and tears filled my eyes. "You're lying" I whispered.

He shook his head and wiped my tears with his thumb. "I'm sorry mama"

I backed away from him and ran out the house I knew exactly where I was going. I needed to see it for myself. I had to see it with my own eyes.

I ran all the way to my house which was 10 minutes away. I slowed down and when I saw the police tap surrounding my house, I broke down.

She's really gone. What am I suppose to do with my mom? All she wanted to do was make sure we didn't struggle and this shit happens?

I fell arms wrap around my waist and I already know who it is. He ran after me?

"Its gonna be OK baby. Trust me" he mumbled against my neck. I clutched onto his shirt and soaked his shirt with my tears. "Come on, let's go home"