chapter fourteen - stay where you are

"friday? is anyone else in the tower today?" natalie asked as she sat up on the bed. "yes, ms banks. ms potts will be coming in the afternoon to check on you, while peter will be home after school. the rest of the avengers are out on missions. "thanks friday, you can call me seven," she thanked the AI but it spoke again, "okay seven. and it seems like mr barton is hiding in the vents."

"thanks for letting me know," seven smirked and said, "hey mr barton!" she heard a groan from above her and a familiar looking man, none other than the hawkeye himself, jumping down to the ground.

"please take me on an adventure in the vents someday, i would like to know what's so interesting up there," seven smiled and said. clint rolled his eyes and sat beside her on the bed, "so... how are you recovering? sorry i wasn't able to visit. nate has been sick." seven shrugged, "i think i'm fine, but neither doctor stephen nor mister stark agree. i hope nate's well already though... can't afford him to miss out on the fun stuff with his other siblings."

clint ruffled the girl's hair. even though she was still a teenager, she seemed to be wise beyond her years. clint enjoyed talking to her and opened up way easier to her than any of the other avengers. but above all things, she reminded him of lila.

seven wanted to leave, she didn't want to stay at the tower. she felt like an intruder, that she shouldn't be here. she wanted to go back to the rest of the kids, and jeremiah, but clint and the other avengers made her so welcomed, like she was a part of them. although, she was still very careful when tony came into the room, just in case they wanted some samples of something she had.

"mister barton, peter, there is a mission for you," the AI spoke as seven, peter and clint were talking and laughing about random stuff. peter had came back from class. "let's see it then, friday," clint looked at peter and replied.

mission statement: stop the invasion of HYDRA at the SHIELD base
team A: clint, natasha, peter, steve
team B: rhodey, stephen, tony

"SHIELD base?" peter gave clint a look. the shield bases were always so protected and filled with security measures. it was impossible for them to be invaded. clint was looking at the mission status through the hologram and realised that it was not just any shield base. "the one with the kids," he whispered to himself.

peter heard clint easily with his super hearing. he looked up at clint and gulped, immediately bolting towards the door, "mr barton, come on! we have to go!" with that, clint ran out of the room with peter, leaving a confused seven alone on the bed.

it was true. the avengers had told her how the SHIELD bases were one of the safest, ever. there was no reason why the avengers needed to be there. but she knew she had to do something, she had to find out why they had to go, why peter was so nervous.

"friday? where is the shield base?" she asked friday.

"i'm afraid i can't tell you that. it is highly confidential," friday replied.

"can you... tell me where peter and mr barton is going?" she asked again.

"on a mission to the shield base," friday replied.

"can i see the file?" she asked.

"i'm afraid i can't tell you that. it is highly confidential," friday replied.