chapter fifty

seven's birthday.

they finally settled everything on the legal side. she was going to be officially adopted by stephen and natasha today. she is going to be home, and safe.

"happy birthday bestie," mj swung her arm over colette's shoulder as colette was walking down the hall to class. "hey! thanks mj," she returned the gesture with a big smile. "anything on today?" mj asked. colette shook her head, "heading home though. stephen says he needs help with some stuff."
_
"see you next week!" seven waved as he and peter hopped into happy's car. "hi happy!" peter exclaimed, before he started rambling about school. seven just shook her head and spent the time looking out of the window.

"bye happy. thanks for the ride," peter said as they reached the stark tower. seven smiled and got down too. "so what's your wish for your birthday?" peter asked as they got into the lift. "not sure... haven't really thought about it. it's just a birthday anyway," seven shrugged.

"what do you mean! birthdays are like so important, and it's so fun!" peter chirped. "i don't know. i'll think about it. what would usually be your wish for your birthday?" seven asked.

they continued the comversation before peter went to the lab, while seven went to her room to finish her work.

7pm.
the familiar tune rang throughout the penthouse to indicate dinner. seven finished the last question of her math paper and cleaned up her desk before heading out of her room.

to find it exceptionally quiet.

there would usually be voices and occasionally shouts from the avengers. but none today. she furrowed her eyebrow and checked her phone to see if she missed any messages, as she walked to the kitchen.

danger.

she gulped and immediately bolted to the corner of the walkway. she kept her phone in her back pocket before leaning slowly towards the edge of the wall. she found herself shaking in fear. cold sweat started dripping down her forhead as she clenched her fists.

she took a deep breath before getting ready to throw some moves. she walked out of hiding and looked to the kitchen, expecting to see some HYDRA agents. but all she got was...

"SURPRISE!"

everyone she knew was here. the avengers, mj and ned, stephen, natasha and yelena, pepper and tony... unbeknownst to her, tears started pouring from her eyes. the looks of excitement from her friends and family turned to worry. stephen immediately dropped his party popper and ran to seven.

"you okay?" he asked, giving her a huge hug. she nodded her head, wiping her tears away as quickly as she could. "'m sorry- it's just," she laughed, "you guys are the first people to celebrate my birthday. and- and everyone is here. so... thank you so much." everyone's seemed to have heaved a sigh of relief and smiled.

that was when natasha walked up to stephen and colette with a brown box. "happy birthday sis," natasha smiled and passed it to her. with a confused look on her face, colette took it and opened it up. "this is a really nice vest!" she exclaimed. stephen held the box for her, looking at natasha with a big smile on his face, while colette took out the vest and took a look at it. "it's so cool right?!" yelena exclaimed. she thought that buying a similar vest to the one she gave natasha would be cool.

"yeah it is pretty cool, thanks lena," seven said, holding it tight in her arms. she thought it was the end of the presents in the box. to her, it was more than enough. but natasha told her to look inside it again. this time, she saw a piece of paper. confused, she picked it up and turned it over before an overwhelming sense of emotion came over her.

she jumped onto stephen and gave him the biggest hug she could ever give. "thank you, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed, tears flowing down her cheeks again. "kid, you might wanna take a look at who else is on that paper," stephen smiled and said as he rubbed her back.

still on stephen, she wiped her tears and with blurry vision saw a name that caught her off guard.

"natasha?" she said, as stephen let her down, "really?" natasha was in tears too. she finally got custody of her very own sister. a sister she never knew she had. she nodded her head and within seconds, she was engulfed into a huge embrace, causing her to almost miss her step, but she caught it just in time.

"group hug!" yelena proposed and they all ran and surrounded each other with a warm embrace. more than that, they were finally safe together. her wish ever year would be to stay together, safe, as a family.

natalie colette seven romanova-strange