chapter fifteen - you lied

everything was a blur.

seven saw it at the corner of her eye. she saw it. the hydra members were trying to capture her, but black widow helped fight them off. the fight was over. the avengers had won. she was helping seven up, making sure she was okay.

then she saw it.

mckay was running towards her when he shot him right in the head with one of the hydra weapons.

jeremiah shot him out cold.

he was being mind controlled. her head blared.

the kid collapsed onto the floor without a yell, a shout or a scream.

all he said was, "seven."

seven's eyes widened as she picked herself up with her bad arm. her whole body felt numb as she ran at lightning speed to the kid. please, please be okay.

tony and natasha ran after seven. they didn't hear the soundless shot of the weapon. they didn't see how the kid collapse. but their hearts broke when they heard seven's sobs.

she picked him up under his armpits, laying his body against her chest. with shaky breaths and quivering hands, she check for a pulse, a sign of life. a sign that he was okay.

but there was none.

they walked into the room, everything torn down and tattered. in the middle of the room, they saw seven holding tightly to the kid. his lips pale, his body lifeless, his eyes opened. his hazelnut eyes. they stepped beside seven, attempting to comfort her, only to receive shouts.

"don't- don't touch me!" she yelled, "you promised... you promised that they'll be safe, that he'll be safe! you promised!" seven's shouts turned into sobs as she held the lifeless body, hugging it closer to her.

tony and natasha looked at each other, both unsure of what to do as the other avengers came into the room. but clint, being a father of three, instantly knelt down in front of seven and looked sadly at the kid in her arms, then at natasha and tony. she flinched as he gave her a hug, it didn't seem to work.

"stephen?" clint turned around and looked at the wizard, who immediately got to work.

"n- no... p- please don't hurt- m- please... just- leave-" seven choked on her words as stephen stepped forward. she backed away from the avengers, still holding on to mckay, as tears fell down her face and on to his shirt.

the sobs.

jeremiah heard it before. he heard it somewhere before.

then something clicked.

he could feel himself breathing heavily, the numbness in his body was gone. he looked at himself, still wearing his sweatpants and t-shirt that seven gave him for his sixteenth birthday. everything seemed the same, like it was before. he was at the shield base, trying to find mckay as he decided to wander off. everything was the same, he reassured himself, everything... except the gun on his hand.

he let it to go immediately, the echo making it ten times louder. suddenly everything came running back into him.

the sobs.