chapter thirty five

seven sat at her desk, trying to concentrate on her work, but her mind kept drifting off to the letter. a loud ding came through the ceiling signalling dinner time. then came footsteps walking across her room, and a few screams and shouts before silence again. seven looked out of the stark towers as the sun started to set. with knees brought close to her chest, she played with the sleeves of her midtown hoodie, trying to think.

can she tell anyone about the letter? she only has 7 hours before she has to meet the mysterious person. will that person hurt any of the avengers if she continued to stay close to them?

"nat! dinner time!" natasha opened the door to the teenager's room, expecting to see her so focused on her work that she blocked out everything, but instead saw the small silhouette of the teenager looking out of the window, shoes laying at the side of her desk on the floor, hair was untied and in curls. she still had her royal blue midtown hoodie on.

her laptop was still on, designs of the upcoming project partially done. her desk was filled with drawings and various designs, some of spider-man's suit. and at the edge of her bed along with her schoolbag, an opened envelope with its contents nowhere to be seen.

natasha walked into her room, starting to get worried about her sister. "natalie, are you okay?" she asked, walking to where she was. the younger romanova quickly wiped her tears away and turned around to face the spy, "sorry... i didn't hear you. is it dinner time?" she stood up quickly, walking towards the door ignoring natasha's worried glance.

"natalie," natasha grabbed her sister's hand gently, stopping her from moving. she walked to face her sister, still holding on to her hand. "what's going on? are you okay? you're making me worried," natasha said, pushing seven's hair away from her face and cupping it behind her ear. "i'm okay," the latter responded with a small smile, "believe me, i am." natasha wasn't convinced at all, but her sister did have some good acting skills.

"i'll be watching you tonight," natasha warned with a gentle squeeze of her hand to seven, who nodded her head. "let's go, they're waiting," seven said, tugging natasha's hand gently. they walked out of the room making small talk, and settled down beside each other. stephen beside natasha, and wanda beside seven. they really rarely had home cooked food, but they would always find a time after missions to reconnect with one another over heart warming dishes.

today it was the ladies' turn to cook. so wanda, carol, natasha and pepper prepared a feast for the team. too bad thor was off world, he would have loved the dishes. carol was at the tower today, surprising everyone. she decided to chip in to help cook, and was quite satisfied with what they did.

steve asked how they felt about the exhibiton, and they started to share, going around the table. bucky was first, followed by steve, vision, rhodey, sam, pepper, tony, carol, peter, bruce, stephen, natasha, seven and finally wanda. peter basically shared everything seven was going to share, so when it was her turn, she said a few sentences before passing the time to wanda.

the avengers didn't think it was anything, since they all assumed she was tired from all the activities today. but stephen and natasha looked at each other, worried. after dinner, seven went back to her room and laid on her bed.

who can it be? who can it be?

she closed her eyes and tried to think of who in the world the person might be, but couldn't think of any.

maybe it's steve. he stole my pop tarts the other day.

she jolted awake as someone seemed to have answered her.

uncle bucky? you scared me.

you okay kid? that's all you've been saying in your head for the past 10 minutes.

yeah. i'm okay. sorry.

so bucky can look into her mind? she thought it was just telepathic. she continued to think about how she would resolve this, then thought of a place to calm her mind.

kamar taj.