Chapter 18: Facing Cathy's Newest Recruits

A day later, everyone was at the studio as Abby and Cameron finished the pyramid and were now talking about the upcoming competition.

"This saturday, we'll be traveling to a new competition called Believe, which is going to be held in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and it's gonna be huge and we've never ever have gone to a prestigious competition and in addition, my son came in and informed me that those accursed apples are going to be there." Abby stated as everyone groaned in exasperation

"Oy vey." Christi mumbled.

"Instead of solos, we're gonna do something a little different and we'll just have a trio and a group and everybody will be in it, yes, even Mackenzie and Asia. The group piece is named Games People Play and also, we learned that Cathy has a group and trio of her own, and our trio is named Groovin' and in it will be Nia, Chloe and Kendall." Julie said.

"And also, we heard somebody is going to be turning 19 on that day," Abby informed as everyone turned to Cameron, who was smiling since the competition would be on his birthday "Remember, we're not gonna lose to that accursed woman, especially on my son's birthday! Get that memo?"

"Besides, the only accursed people in your lives are us." Cameron commented. "Girls, you know what to do and moms, you can head out."

The moms were up in the observation room watching the rehearsal for the group and it felt relaxed without Kelly there.

"Abby and her son are going very slow on this." Christi observed.

"It's great they're telling the girls in detail on what they want." Melissa commented.

"I think it's because of Cathy." Jill said.

"Yeah." Holly added.

"I know you've been facing Cathy even before me and Asia joined and without Kelly being here berating Brooke and Paige or even Abby and Cameron, i believe we'll be a more cohesive unit." Kristie stated. "But i have a feeling that Kelly may sneak herself back in here."

"You do have a point." Christi admitted.

(Group costume for Games People Play: Stretch lace over spandex leotard with adjustable straps, attached black mesh asymmetrical skirt with front drape, applique and bind trim.)

(Chloe, Nia and Kendall's trio costume for Groovin': Graphic print foul unitard with attached spandex ash and adjustable straps, buckle trim and spandex knee high boot covers and fabric headpiece.)

The next day, Abby, Cameron and Julie were observing the group and noticed that something was very off.

"Mom, Julies, remember when Gia was telling us we needed a secret weapon for the group?" Cameron told his mother and girlfriend.

"Yes, we remember." Julie commented.

"Maybe we should make an addition to the group."

"Sounds like a great idea, we talked about that earlier this morning and i'm gonna bring in that secret weapon." Abby went to the door that led to the Dancer's Den and coming into Studio A was Payton.

"Hello, Payton. Glad you could come in." Cameron stated.

"Hello, Cam. Hello, Jules. Hello, Miss Abby." Payton responded as the moms watched.

"Look, they're bringing Payton in." Jill noted.

"Oh, hey!" Christi stated.

"Question, how old is Payton?" Kristie wondered.

"She's fifteen and she danced with the team before." Melissa answered.

"Well at least she's not here to replace anybody, thankfully." Holly added as Leslie was coming upstairs.