Chapter 1: The Hell Hole

I've battled demons that won't let me sleep

    Called to the sea but she abandoned me     

 But I will never give up, no, never give up, no, no

   No, I will never give up, no, never give up, no, no   

 And I won't let you get me down

   I'll keep gettin' up when I hit the ground 

  Oh, never give up, no, never give up no, no, oh

    I won't let you get me down   

♪     I'll keep gettin' up when I hit the ground   

Oh, never give up, no, never give up no, no, oh   

  I'll find my way, find my way home, oh, oh, oh

☆*: .。..。.:*☆☆*: .。. .。.:*☆☆*: .。..。.:*☆☆*: .。. .。.:*☆

"What are your plans for this break?" Natasha asked me.

"Stay home with Mom. Maybe learn to bake," I said. It was always something that I needed to fabricate.

I watched my classmates have each other sign their yearbooks and leave quickly. Some had plans to travel during the vacation, some had plans for the beach and the rest had their ideas of a holiday. Even Natasha's parents were taking her on a long trip out of town.

I saw Jason White pass by, his gaze warming me like hot chocolate on a rainy day. He winked my way and his gorgeous smile had me blush. He was somebody that I liked more than just an acquaintance, a teenage crush. And any gesture of his tugged at my heartstrings. But, we never had greater conversations than a "Hello", "Bye", or a nod. I haven't mustered the courage to break this to Natasha.

"Hey Cassandra, listen. I can get you a ticket if you wanna go with us because... Well, that's what you do every vacation! Spend time with Mom. How about you consider doing something different this time? You do know that we have just a year until school gets over, right?" She nudged me. She didn't notice my exchange with Jason. I thanked the stars silently.

"I'm good, Nat. Look, we're gonna make plenty of memories and I won't be going away forever after school. We'll work it out," I said although the thought of parting from Natasha in a year felt disheartening. One year may seem like a long time, but time flies quickly. It may be over before I can even comprehend it.

Besides, my life wasn't as rosy as I wished it to be. I miss my dad who died in a car crash. I have an abusive stepfather who beats up my mother most nights. Unfortunately, he has a great reputation out there. So, I've never told anyone out of fear. If the person chose not to believe me, the word might go to Brian... my psychotic stepfather. It would turn out badly... for Mum and me. 

Natasha didn't know about it. A part of me did not want to pull her into the dark world that I now live in. She is a merry girl and has been my only source of distraction from the harsh reality back home. She has always been my ray of hope, rather oblivious of how much she meant to me. I smiled watching her hunt for her car grumpily across the overcrowded parking lot.