Twenty-Eight

Calum's POV

"We don't have to do this you know." I sigh, wrapping my arms around Andi from behind as she brushes through her long hair, getting ready to go over to Luke's for dinner with everyone tonight.

"I think I want to dye my hair again." She has her eyebrows pulled together as she studies her reflection in the mirror, ignoring my comment completely.

"Okay. What color?" I smile.

"Pink." She nods matter of fact.

"For Ashlyn?" I sigh.

"For me, Cal, and maybe partly for our girls too, yes." She smiles softly, turning to plant a kiss on my cheek, "And I want to go tonight. I want you guys to hear the song. It's so amazing."

"I just want you to know we can leave the second you feel tired or overwhelmed." I nod.

"I know. Thank you for that. Did you make sure Kason is ready?" I nod again, hugging her tightly for a second before stepping away. "Thanks."

"Do you want to take the pictures to show them?" I question as I notice them laying on the dresser.

"Not yet. She's just ours for now, while we grieve. Someday I'll share her with our friends too, but not today."

"Okay. We should head out in about ten minutes. Will you be ready?"

"Ya. I don't feel like putting on makeup or anything, who knows what my emotions are going to do tonight."

"Okay. We can head out now if you're ready."

"Okay." She nods, sliding past me to the closet to find her shoes.

"Ann." I catch her quickly, pulling her against my chest, "I love you." I smile, kissing her softly.

"I love you too, Squish." She sighs, relaxing against my chest. "How are you handling this all so well?"

"Ask any of the boys tonight. I'm not. But you need me to be strong for you right now, so I'm going to be as strong as I can for you." I whisper, rubbing up and down her back softly.

"Will we ever be fixed? Will we be happy when Ainsley gets here? Will it ever not hurt so much?" She whispers.

"Someday. Ashlyn will always be our baby, and some things will always sting a little bit. But we will get through this, Ann, I know it." I sigh, hugging her as tight as I dare.

"I hope so..." She whispers, holding on tightly to my middle.

***

"You guys made it!" Luke smiles when he swings the door open for us, pulling Andi into a hug first.

"No pity looks, Luke, I can't handle that, okay?" She comments when he pulls away.

"I'll try." He nods, scooping Kason up and over his shoulder next.

"Uncle Luke!" Kas squeals with a laugh.

"Nephew Kason." Luke mocks, turning to head further into the house with Kas still on his shoulder.

"Ready?" I smile, taking Andi's hand in mine.

"Still good." She nods, pulling me towards the living room.

Turns out we are the last to arrive, and the group hug that ensues the moment we step into the room is both heartwarming and crushing. The support feels wonderful, but it also brings all our dreams and thoughts of Ashlyn back unto my mind. One look at Andi and I know it's done the same for her.

"Thank you all for the love, really. But we don't want to dwell on our baby girl tonight, we want to enjoy the little time we all have at home together for a while. And Andi has been talking up this song you three have written so much, and well dammit I need to hear it."