Unfinished Business - Part 2

After a while they separated from the kiss. Astrid's fingers delicately touched Hiccup's lips, making him smile.

"Come on, you need to get back to work", she said getting up from his lap.

"Now? I mean I was actually enjoying this", Hiccup said grabbing her waist so she could sit with him again. It didn't work.

"You started this! You can't just leave!", Hiccup indignantly exclaimed as Astrid started to analyze Hiccup's last annotations.

"And you can't just tell everyone again you need more time to finish this", she said facing him, with a serious tone now. Words tried to come out Hiccup's mouth but nothing happened. He sighed, avoiding Astrid's gaze.

"Look, this is perfect. You just need to copy it into another page so everyone could understand", Astrid said realizing something else was bothering Hiccup.

"What's wrong babe?", she asked concerned. She sighed before leaving the sketch were she found it. She kneeled down in front of him so she could reach his eyes.
She lifted his chin softly, making Hiccup immediately turn away.

"What if I'm not good enough?", he asked. The look he gave her was enough for Astrid to understand why he was so stuck with the task.

"Hiccup your dad would definitely be proud of you! And if Berk is what's worrying you well, everyone knows how smart and brave you are. That's why they blindly trust you. I trust in you and I'll never stop doing it", Astrid said before grabbing both of his cheeks.

She left one hand on his face while the other one started to caress his hair softly. She removed the hair from his forehead so her eyes could meet with his. Hiccup broke down.
He hugged Astrid like his life depended on it. He shed a few tears down Astrid's shoulder, making her close her eyes and by instinct, she hugged him back even tighter.

"Come on. We have some work to do", she said letting go of Hiccup's arms, cleaning the tears from his face, earning a smile from him.

"We?", he asked while helping Astrid to get up.

"You and I", she said smiling at him.

"Oh but don't get used to it. I have some unfinished business to attend too", she said with a little smirk on her face.

"Astrid...", Hiccup said returning the smirk to her, realizing they were always going to be team, a team he would never replace.