Email Title : Today I Met My Friends

I hate sports with a passion. If I had the choice between being stuck in a room with relatives I haven't seen in twenty years or playing a hard game of basketball, I would choose the relatives. 

I would rather see there melting wrinkly faces then a sweaty beefy boy my age running towards me like a lion. 

But basketball was the reason I met my friends. 

I never had much friends. I didn't even have one when I was in kindergarten. Jared wasn't a friend. I don't think he ever was. I think the only reason he hung out with me back then was because his parents said so, and because I never ate my food in fear of people watching me. 

He ditched me around the start of middle school, when Dawn started twirling her hair and whispering in his ear. 

He ditched me when Dawn started promising to give him a blow job at the end of the year.

I think she lived up to that promise since on the last day they disappeared to a janitors closet. 

After that I never had any friends. I didn't even have friends in my first year of high school.

That changed when a basketball rolled into my path.

At first, I panicked. Someone was going to come and get the ball. Or they might ask me to pass it to them. 

I picked at my cast that held my broken arm. No one knew how I broke it. And they never will. They'll think I am crazy. 

"You don't have to pass it", a voice whispered in my ear behind me. 

I turned around and jumped back when blue pearly eyes stared back at me. 

I took a deep breath of relief when I realized it was just a boy. 

And when I looked closer I noticed that he was rather skinny. To skinny in fact. His blue cardigan and stripped shirt hung loosely on him. His face looked deathly pale and the only thing colorful on it was his pink cheeks. His blue eyes looked like pearls. They looked dead. 

But the thing that stood out the most to me was a large gash on his neck. As if someone tried to slice his head off but failed. 

"I said you don't have to pass it", the boy whispered again as he reached down to pick it up. 

"Oh! S-sorry about that-"

"Jeremy. My name is Jeremy", the boy whispered. 

"S-sorry about that Jer-Jeremy", I stuttered out. 

"HURRY UP JERE! CONNOR IS GETTING BORED", another voice yelled out. I turned my attention to my left, towards the junkyard hill. And I was surprised to see two other boys standing there. 

No one in the town ever went to the junkyard. Adults say that a double murder happened back in the 90's. And police records backed it up. So no one ever went over there. Not even junkies wanting to get a rush. 

But these boys did. 

"Who the hell are you?", a boy asked me. I didn't even notice he was there. I turned my attention back to him.

His hair was long. Like a lions. Long and brown. A thick strand of hair covered his left eye and his face was turned into a mean glare. As if he knew why my arm was broken. He was wearing a thin black jacket. He was wearing black everything actually.

"Hey don't get him scared Connor. Look at him! He's a little bean", the other boy said. 

He had on a red jacket filled with patches. Each sewed on with efficiency and care. His glasses had a crack in them. And they where covered in dirt. I would be surprised if he could still see out of them. I would be surprised if he could see my ugly face. 

My ugly stains. 

"Sorry about Connor over there, I think he is on his period", the boy in red said, "I'm Micheal by the way". He then reached his hand out. 

Oh no. I hate handshakes.

I hated everything with human interaction now that I think about it.

But luckily Connor noticed my uncomfortable stance and opened his mouth to speak, "Want to play basketball with us?".

I never said yes to something I hate so much in my life so quickly.