Email Title : Don't Let It Slip

As we drove over to the woods, I kept my mouth tightly shut. I can't let what I did before slip. 

It seems my silence wasn't something out of place, since Micheal didn't bat an eye. Jeremy continued to look out the window. And Connor was driving at a speed that would make any old man have a heart attack. 

Luckily none of us were old, we were just tired of living. That is the key difference. 

I continued to look out the window, smiling slightly when Micheal's voice would crack when he tried to sing a high note. Connor thought it was annoying. Jeremy loved. His soft laughs could be heard, even under the loud music. I think that is what made Micheal continue on singing. 

And on a certain soft song, I was lulled to sleep. 

"Hey Ev, wake up", I suddenly heard someone whisper very closely to my ear. My eyes shot open and I jumped back, only to be stopped by the seatbelt still holding me. 

Connor let out a soft chuckle, "Chill, it's just me. We're here", Connor explained in a soft voice. 

I just nodded, not really paying attention since the one thing I was thinking about was how close Connor was. He was so close I could feel his breath on my nose. 

I quickly unbuckled my seatbelt, already knowing that they didn't know were the cave was in the first place. And that meant that I must lead them to it. 

Now, when I was little the line leader was a very popular thing to be. If you were the line leader you were on top of the world. Jared was usually the line leader, since he was so flamboyant and loud that it was hard not to say no to him. 

I was always in the back. Not even the middle. Jared usually found that hilarious. Evan Hansen, always in the back. Always invisible. Hell, I was even invisible to some of our teachers. So much so, that one forgot to call my name during roll call.

I was pulled from my thoughts when Connor gently took my hand. I stared up at him. "You good there?", he asked. 

"Y-yeah", I stuttered out weakly. I wiggled my foot a little on the leaf covered world. Just to make sure I was still grounded. Not falling. 

Connor let out a small smile. 

"Good, because that means you can lead the way now since I am bored as fuck", Connor responded.

He then let go of my hand.

I let that slip, I let that slip easily. 

It made me angry at myself that I let his hand go so easily.