1.2 Dreams

"Where am I?" Charlotte mumbled as she sat up and rubbed her head

"Where am I?" Charlotte mumbled as she sat up and rubbed her head. Looking around she found herself in a field of flowers under a crystal blue sky. Nothing around her for as far as she could see.

"You're home, baby."

Charlotte jumped and turned around to see a familiar woman sitting on a blanket with a basket. Her dark hair loose over her shoulders. And brown eyes shining.

"Mom?"

"Hi, baby."

"Mom!"

"Oh! I missed you too, baby, but don't squeeze to tight! You'll hurt the baby!" her mother laughed and kissed the side of her head.

"Baby?" Charlotte gasped and pulled away to glance at her mother's belly, "You're... ?"

"Look at you! Look at how much you have grown! I can't believe it has been so long!" Anna chuckled sadly and pressed a hand to her daughter's face.

It was then that Charlotte realized something was wrong.

"Mom? Where am I? What is this place? You're dead. You have been dead a long time. Am I... Am I dead too?"

"Shh, baby. It's okay. You're okay. You aren't dead, baby. This place... It's hard to explain. You're stuck between worlds. You're stuck in limbo between death and life."

"I'm... stuck? Then why are you here?"

"To guide you. To make sure you make the right choice."

"Right choice?"

"You'll learn about it one day, but for now... let's go find your father and brother. They have missed you, you know."

Anna took her daughter by the hand and led her through the field. It felt like they walked for ages before suddenly they stood in front of a cottage, one that Charlotte felt she remembered. It was painted white, with dark chocolate trim and a mint green door. It was covered in vines with morning glories blooming happily. Anna smiled back at Charlotte and stepped forward to open the door. But the door was flung open and a small boy collided with Charlotte.

"Lotti! You're here!" Atticus grinned and tugged on his sister's shirt, "You're a grown up now!"

"Atti? Oh my god." Charlotte sobbed and dropped to her knees in tears, pulling him tightly to her chest.

"Ew! Gross!" Atticus whined and pried himself away from her affections.

"Easy there, Atticus." A man's voice was heard and Charlotte gasped at the sight of her father standing in the doorway.

"Daddy?"

"Hi, baby girl." Joe laughed and leaned down to bury his face into his daughter's hair.