1.4 - Decisions

Ms

Ms. Carlos peeked her head into Charlotte's bedroom with a serving tray. Charlotte's favorite breakfast of 'A bird in the nest' (toast with a hole in it which an egg is placed and cooked), orange juice and sliced strawberries. She found Charlotte sitting at her vanity brushing her hair, humming a soft tune. Ms. Carlos smiled and set the tray on the small table by the bed. She hadn't ever seen Charlotte's bedroom before, but she smiled brightly. This room was very much Charlotte's. Charlie had taken extra care to convert the attic into Charlotte's room. He wanted her to have her own space and not use Bella's room. She remembered the weeks it took for the man to completely redo the entire room. And it still had that warmth that Charlotte held. Now a grown woman she had changed parts of her room, but you could see small details left over from her childhood.

The room had originally been painted a frosted blue, with hints of glitter in the paint. The trim was white, but Charlie had accidentally touched it with blue paint on his hand. An eight year old Charlotte had giggled and added her own hand print next to it. Now the room was painted a slightly darker shade of blue, yet both handprints remained. A piece of trim in the far corner had Charlotte's measurements over the year written in black sharpie. When they had repainted the trim she had refused to cover both the prints and the writing. The white carpet of her childhood hadn't lasted long. Charlie had tried to make the room look wonderful, but white carpet in a child's room never... Really lasts. It had stayed only two years before the many stains became to much. From grape juice to green paints and then to muddy footprints and melted crayons. After that he had ripped it up and replaced it with dark wood flooring. 

And where childhood decorations and furniture had been was now a more adult looking room. Somewhat. A chalkboard still hug on the board covered in old photos of Charlotte, Leah and Rebecca. Some of other friends she had. Amanda, her dearly departed roommate, spraying whipped cream into her mouth. A young Seth wearing one of Leah's bras ... And a raging Leah in the background. Harry, Billy and Charlie all hovering around a BBQ at a Fourth of July party. Charlie cleaning his gun on the porch waiting for Charlotte's first date to arrive. Sarah Black and Sue making cookies. A young Charlotte hugging her old Saint Bernard, Rosco. Grandma Holly and Great Uncle Benny at Thanksgiving. These were photos of the most beloved people in her life. Dead and alive.

Ms. Carlos blushed slightly when she caught sight of a picture of herself on the board.

"When the hell did you take that?" The old woman cackled.

"Hmm... That one? Charlie's birthday two years ago." Charlotte giggle and laid her brush down.

"Sneaky little brat." Ms. Carlos playfully scowled at her.

"You love me." Charlotte winked and stood up to give her neighbor a hug, "Thank you for making me breakfast. I tried to make my own, but Charlie chased me back upstairs." Drowning at the memory of Charlie literally chasing her up the stairs with one of his nasty socks.

"Charlotte Marie! You get back up those damned stairs!"
"It's okay, Uncle Charlie. I just want some toast."
"Up!"
"What? What are you-?! Ew! Charlie!"
"Up the stairs!"