Chapter 28

" Stop being nervous Jayda we right here if you need us " Mel said as we all sat in the car . We were currently sitting in the Waffle House parking lot because my mother wanting to meet up with me . It's been two weeks since she sent that text out and today was my last day here so I decided to meet with her . I got out and walked inside the the building and I instantly spotted her and all my nerves returned as I made it to the table and sat down.

" Hi Sweetie " she said and gave me a warm smile .

" Hey " I said moving nervously in my seat .

" Listen I didn't come here to give you some sob story of why I was such a horrible mother to you in the past because there's exactly no explanation of how I treated you . I'm sorry for not being the mother you deserved  , I let you endure all that pain when I could've put a stop to it . I love you so much Ja'Layah and I admire the woman you've become . I've been diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer and the doctors don't know how long I have and I had to get all of that off my chest before ... I died " she said and by the end both of us were in tears. We got up and hugged each other , of course what my mom did was unforgivable but I still had a lot of love for this woman and that would never change . We pulled apart and we held a conversation until I looked down and realized that my plane would be leaving soon so I promised to keep in touch and walked back to the car where I broke down .

" It's okay mama breath " Dave said in my ear as we drove to the airport . I felt myself get sick and Mel pulled over on the side of the rode as I let all of my inside out . I just kept gagging and Mel got out and rubbed my back , I finally stopped and caught my breath . Mel handed me some gum , and we got back in the car and there was a silence until we finally made it to the airport. She parked and it was 30 minutes until I had to be on my flight so we took that time to reminisce .

" You remember when you first seen Dave at the gas station " Mel said and I laughed and nodded .

" I caught her checking me out while she tried to act like she wasn't " Dave said flicking his collar and I playfull hit his shoulder .

" Boy please you was looking at me from head to toe trying to eye rape me " I said and he playfully mugged me .

" You remember when you told me Dave sucked you like a neckbone " she said and I slapped the back of her head .

" Bitch and he heard me " I said and we all bursted out laughing . We continued taking until our plane was called and the water works started form .

" Bitch I'm going to miss you , we were just in middle school trying to find a way to skip out second period class , we just were just sneaking out for the first time because they were having this party and you wanted to go . Ja'Layah I'm going to miss you so much man ! Who's house am I going to go to when Trey piss me off or who's refrigerator am I going to raid ? In all seriousness though I love you so much and I wish y'all nothing but the best and Dave make sure you take care of my girl and cut them thangs while you in Florida " she said and I wiped my tears and embraced her in a bear hug . We pulled apart and I hugged Trey and the twins and promised I'd visit soon . Dave and Trey dapped each other up and he hugged Mel before pulling her wig a little and she slapped his arm and fixed it . She grabbed D'ante out of my arms and kissed his cheeks and he smiled and hugged her and she hugged him back she passed him back to me .

" Bye Tete Mel love you & Uncle Trey" Kairi said as her and Mel and Trey hugged and she ran back to our side . Dave had convinced his mother to let her leave as long as he promised to let this FaceTime everyday . We looked back at them one last time before boarding our plane and I sighed as we put our stuff up and took our seats .

" I seen you throw up back there you okay "? Dave asked as the plane finally started moving .

" Yeah I'm fine probably all that crying I was doing ". I said and he nodded and turned his attention back to Kairi . I sighed as I laid my head on the window and gazed off into the clouds .