11 | The Guardian of The Forest

"It was the man I killed."

"Wow. Hardcore." Aym said with surprise. Vin glared at him for joking at a time like this but he just snickered.

"Can you stand up?" Vin gently asked as he squatted and offered her a hand. Chamuel was still weak, she was still haunted by the vengeful spirit's eyes. She shook her head which made Vin sigh.

She didn't do anything when he picked her up and carried her in his arms. She felt rather more secured and it helped her calm down. "Let's go home first so you could rest." She just nodded and rested her head on his chest. Not even a few minutes later, she fell asleep due to exhaustion physically and mentally.

"She's knocked out already?" Aym said as he walked with Vin. "A lot has happened, she's only human." Vin said with a sigh. He's actually a little guilty that Chamuel felt this distressed. If only he protected her better, that spirit wouldn't even get close to them.

"Is she?"  Aym asked with speculation in his voice. "She is. Now stop." Vin said with threatening eyes. Aym shrugged, dropping the topic.

As he gripped the vengeful spirit earlier, Vin got a glimpse of its past and future. He saw Chamuel when the man hijacked the bus. He saw everything that happened, even the last moment of the man before he fell from the bus. What bothered him was that the man was smiling when he dragged Chamuel. His eyes flickered with resentment and excitement.

"So we're going home?" Aym asked, snapping Vin out of his train of thought. He nodded. "The Will-O'-Wisps are appearing again. We should just follow them."

And they did. They followed the trail that the Will-O'-Wisps made.

"He is still struggling." The serpent cane said, making his head alive. "Is he strong?" Aym said with a little caution. The serpent chuckled with a hiss. "He's a wuss." Aym rolled his eyes at him. "Then why are you telling me something so trival?" He said with annoyance in his voice.

"It's not his strength that I'm worried about. It's his resentment. I can feel his hatred, Aym." The serpent said with seriousness. Vin spared a glance at it. 'Resentment... Towards Chamuel?' He asked himself, keeping up his guard once again.

"Just keep him restrained, we'll talk to him in our department." Aym said dismissing the serpent.

"Until when will you protect her?" Aym asked after clearing his throat. "Until she settles down."

"Is she really a mistaken soul?"
Aym asked again. It's his second nature, Vin doubts if he can even shut his mouth even for a minute. "Yes. And stop asking questions, I only know this much." He said, cutting off their conversation. Aym just shrugged nonchalantly.

"Are you sure we should just follow the Will-O'-Wisps?" He asked. Vin just gave him a firm yes. "Because we seem to be going around in circles." Aym said then pointed at the same tree that he fell from. "At this rate, we should've been at the gates already." Vin looked confused.

"What's happening?" Aym said with irritation in his voice. 

"The Will-O'-Wisps doesn't follow anyone's command, they can't be controlled." Vin said, finding the situation to be weird. It was foolish of him to be too distracted to even check whether there is danger around them.

"Maybe they are playing with us?" Aym speculated. It is the first time that it has happened to them. Will-O'-Wisps' sole purpose is to create paths that travelers should follow. They only guide, they don't trick people or play around. "They're Will-O'-Wisps, Aym, not pixies." The cat in his neck lazily said with a yawn.