14 | Malus Umbra

"You came back, Chamuel Grace." He said as he let out a menacing laugh, making every hair on Chamuel stand up. 'How does he know my name?'

"Don't be afraid of him." Vin said, trying to calm down Chamuel. She nodded even though she's nervous as the vengeful spirit watched her intently.

They took a seat in one of the higher chairs, far from the platform.

"The prosecution of Malus Umbra will now begin." The head jury declared. 'So his name is Malus Umbra?'

"Do you think your death was unjust?" One of the demon jury asked. It didn't snap its attention away from Chamuel as he answered. "Yes." He said then smiled spookily.

Perhaps they've seen this moment for more than a thousand times, that's why the jury just nodded while Chamuel, on the other hand, is at the edge of her seat.

"We've seen your profile and you've killed a total of 89 people while you were alive." The jury said which surprised Chamuel. '89?!'  Fear was visible to Chamuel's face and when Malus saw her getting nervous, it smiled in an even more wicked way and licked his lips.

"Yes, I have." He proudly admitted, not taking his eyes off Chamuel as if he's trying to send a message through his stare.

"You died after you fell from a moving bus." One of the demon juries said, reading his profile again. "That was after you were stabbed by a woman named Chamuel Grace." Something flickered in Malus' eyes as Chamuel's name was mentioned.

He smiled as his saliva dripped from his chapped lips. "Yes, that woman." He said pointing at Chamuel.

The demon juries looked at Chamuel which made her nervous but they looked bored rather than intrigued. "Okay." They said with their voice devoid of any emotion. Chamuel breathed deep as she felt like she escaped a dangerous situation.

'So they don't really care about me.' She thought to herself. Relieved.

"Aym." One of the demon juries called Aym and he nodded. He looked at the man and the moment he did, he felt his resentment.

"Excuse me for a while." He playfully said as he tried to enter Malus' mind.

For a moment, he hesitated to enter his mind to ask questions. The vengeful spirit certainly is weaker than Aym's mental strength but when a demon enters a human's mind, they become even more resentful, their evilness is ignited and they become viler.

If Aym enters his mind, he might go berserk or gain more animosity. Aym will be the catalyst for his malice.

Nevertheless, he went inside his head and asked questions, it's his job after all. The whole room was quiet for a few seconds. The spirit shrieked and wriggled, making the chains choke him.

After a few seconds, it stopped and fell asleep again.

"I've got his answers." Aym said after sighing. He looked exhausted. "That bastard was tough. Tricky." He said, sounding a little amused.

"Very well, extract the gathered information at once and bring it to me." The head jury said then hit the block with his gavel. "Be back in ten minutes."

Everyone sighed and took a break. Chamuel was confused. 'What just happened?'

"I've got the information, I'll walk you out." Aym said after climbing to their seat. Vin nodded at him and offered a hand to Chamuel as he stood up.

"W-What happened?" Chamuel asked hesitantly. 

"I used my ability on him and beat the answers out of him." He smugly said as they walk out of the room.

"Then why are we leaving? Aren't you going to give him the final verdict?" Chamuel asked, looking back at Malus.

"I'll extract my information first. Put it into paper so that the juries can read how my interrogation went."

"How did it went?"
Chamuel asked nervously. Aym looked at her then smiled, he found her nervous expression entertaining. "Don't worry, based on my interrogation, he's just an evil spirit that's too dark-hearted it made him a vengeful spirit." 

Chamuel let out the breath that she's been holding. She felt relieved. 

"Well then, bye." Chamuel bid Aym goodbye with a warm smile. They were about to board the elevator when Aym stopped them.

"Wait. Vin, can we talk for a moment?" Aym said with dread in his eyes.