21 | Vanth's plans

"Vanth is plotting a revolution." She immediately started as soon as they got inside. Vin looked at her with surprise.

"What do you know?" Vin asked. He's been feeling this coming, especially with the hostile atmosphere that the other demons are giving them.

"One of Paimon's legions has been watching her move and now they've caught her doing something suspicious."
Lilin said as she took a seat.

Vin furrowed his eyebrows at her with confusion. "I saw her two days ago, I didn't sniff any animosity or ulterior motives." He said with doubt.

"She must've used a masking trick or something, I don't know."
Lilin said then threw her hands in the air. Even she doesn't know the whole truth yet. She's been watching Vanth's moves yet she herself didn't get a whiff of her motive until yesterday.

"What did you get on her?"
Vin asked.

"She investigated yours and Aosoth's file."
He looked confused at her answer.

"Aosoths and my file?"
He repeated. "Yes."

"Why our file? Why not Lucy's?"
He asked again with a confused expression. "We don't know yet. But we caught Verin following Aym this morning." He quickly snapped his attention to her.

"Where is he?"
He asked in urgency. Verin is the right-hand-man of Lucifer himself, if he betrayed Lucifer then at this point, trusting anyone will be hard.

Lilin sighed before answering. "Aym is trying to break into his mind but Vanth must've used something, he couldn't break through him."

Vin was vexed. "Vanth is just a lowly receiver of the dead. How can she plot for a revolution?" He tried to put the pieces together but it somehow doesn't fit. He couldn't put his finger on it but something is wrong.

"Exactly. Someone powerful must be backing her up. Someone powerful enough to topple the hierarchy in Hell with the right opportunity."

"Azazel."
Just the mention of his name sent shivers down his spine. He was dreadful of the thought. 'Why? How?'

"We thought so too."
Lilin said with a sigh.

"Azazel is nowhere to be found. The last we heard, he was on Earth."
Vin frustratedly said, trying to close that speculation.

"That's what we think. Right now, Lucy is on Earth for his annual visit there. Hell's security isn't at its best, the king isn't here. The second man is busy with babysitting a human. Which means..."
She trailed off which made Vin look at her.

"This is the opportunity that he was waiting for."
He continued her sentence. It suddenly hit him, the pieces fell perfectly.

Azazel is using Vanth as a puppet to move his chess pieces because Vanth holds most of the information of those in Hell. With Chamuel here in Hell, it creates an even bigger opportunity for him with Vin busy guarding Chamuel. That's why the lower demons are whispering about her. If they attack Chamuel, they'll keep Vin at bay, creating a perfect chance for Azazel to attack and overwhelm him.

"Shit."
Vin said then kicked his bed after realizing something. "Why?"

"I sent Aosoth to Vanth two days ago and I haven't heard from her."
He worriedly said.

Lilin looked at him with dread. "Two days ago?"

"Yes. Why...?"
He asked. He already thought of the answer but he kept wishing it wasn't right. 'Not my sister, Azazel...'  He said while clenching his jaw.

"Verin said something about capturing the best link. We didn't know what it meant but what if..."
Lilin trailed off, afraid of continuing.

"Summon my legion at once."
He said with his eyes flickering with blue flames.