26 | The Oath of Vin

"Lucy."

He looked at the Morning Star with wide eyes. If he's here then why is he hiding?

"Aye, it is me, boy. Sit down."
He said then offered Vin a seat in front of his table.

The room looked like an office. Vin was actually surprised that Lucy can stay in an ample room. He's usually too egoistic to think that he deserves such plain and simple designs. 

"You're back."
Vin said, trying to gather his thoughts as he sat down. "Indeed."

"We have a problem."
Vin started. If Lucifer is here then there's no need to fear about firepower. They have the strongest person in Hell, the devil himself. "I know, that's why I didn't announce my arrival." 

Vin looked at him with confusion. "You know? Even Aosoth's case?"

"Yes. And I guess that you already have a plan, if there's anything I can help with, just tell me."
Lucifer nonchalantly said with sincerity in his voice.

Vin sat straight and looked at him with dead-serious eyes. "We need to ambush him. Tonight is the best window to do that. With you here, we can easily defeat him and his minions." He said with confidence. 

His strength and determination revving up. He's finally confident, no longer feeling like he's at a disadvantage. He's positive now, his heart at ease that he'll rescue his sister without a hitch at all.

Lucy cleared his throat and looked at him apologetically. "Vin, I'm sorry to disappoint you but I won't allow you to fight him." Vin was frozen on his seat, registering what Lucifer said.

"What, why?"
He asked with a tinge of disappointment and anger.

"Vin, I have to use my 'I owe you' card."
Vin looked at him with confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Do you remember your oath?"
At the mention of it, Vin couldn't help but swallow hard.

His oath. The oath that he took when Lucifer was wreaking havoc on Earth for the death of his child. The memory of it still sends shivers down his spine. The sight of Lucifer in all his wrath, the sight of the child with its chest open wide.

It was impossible for him to even forget it for a second. "Yes." He answered, swallowing hard.

"Vin, my daughter is here in Hell. She's a Nephilim."
Vin felt a sudden dread that hit its core. He felt like someone pulled his intestines out, he couldn't speak nor react properly. 

'Not her...'

"Fulfill your oath. Protect her. Azazel knows of her existence. Her stay here in Hell has alerted most of the higher-ups, both here in Hell and in Heaven."
Lucifer said, looking at him with serious and dreadful eyes.

"They're at her, Vin. I need you to protect her."
He said, almost sounding like he's pleading.

Lucifer cannot be with his daughter, he's too high profile. They will definitely target him in order to get to his child. Everybody is chasing after a Nephilim. Its heart is the elixir that can make anyone almost equal to the highest power, its temptation is just too much.

Vin knew that. They both knew that. It's the reason why Lucifer made him take that oath. To be the guardian of Lucifer's child. The strongest Nephilim. The devil's child with angelic gifts.

"Aosoth is still---"

"I'll take care of Aosoth, I promise. But I need you to abide to your oath first."

"You promised. You swore an oath."
He said, demanding Vin's answer. The room became darker as Lucifer stood up. The lights flickered, there was a subtle quaking and Lucifer's eyes started to turn into a harsher color of red.

He knows. Vin knows that he has to honor his oath but it's too much of a risk. He may be one of the strongest in Hell, but if people like Azazel is coming after her, protecting her will be more than suicide.

"Vin, Chamuel is my daughter, I don't want history to repeat itself." Lucifer said which made Vin close his eyes tightly.

'So Chamuel really is his daughter.' He knew it himself. He just wished he was wrong. It was foolish but it's the only thing he can think of.