thirteen

Please read the note at the end.

Damian

I wanted to tell Naomi where I really was, but I just couldn't. I didn't want her to think I'm some addict who wanted to waste his life away.

Even though I am.

When leaving Naomi's house, I felt confused. I don't know how she can get so quickly attached to someone she just met. Trust takes time and she didn't give me any of it. She easily accepted me, despite my flaws.

Despite my pain.

"Dude, did you even listen to what I just said?"

Xavier is sitting in the passenger side of my car, hitting his pen as usual; the smoke fills my car.

I shake my head, "No man, what'd you say?"

Xavier flicks my head, "Dude I asked what you were thinking about - you've been mad distracted lately."

"Flick me in my head again, I'll kick you out of this car."

He hold his hand up in defense, "Okay, but to be fair you have been distracted recently."

"No, I haven't."

"Yes you have."

"No, I really haven't. I've just been thinking a lot about things."

Xavier puts his feet up on the dashboard, "Complete bullshit."

"It's just not bullshit though," I sigh. "I've been thinking about Naomi."

A smile comes to play onto Xaviers face, "Man I don't blame you- I've had my eye on her for a while."

I squint at him - not liking what I was hearing, "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"I mean she's hot, stupid. I mean, whoever doesn't go for that is dumb. She's got the brains, the class, and the ass - that's a triple threat."

I laugh, "Then what's keeping you from going for her."

"Because that's your girl man."

I laugh at his joke, but stop when I realize he wasn't kidding, "She's not my girl."

"Oh yes she is," Xavier says taking another hit.

"No she's not man, cut it out. We only just met a week ago and me and her just won't ever happen like that."

He has to be fucking with me, right? Me and Naomi will never be more than friends.

Xavier shakes his head as if he knows something that I don't, "Yeah, alright."

****

I was met face to face with a woman I don't recognize. She was a darker woman, her hair pulled back into a bun and her curls matched Naomi's. This has to be Naomi's mom- the resemblance is ridiculous.

"Hi, can I help you," She asks.

"Um, yes, I'm actually here to see Naomi," I slide my hands in my pockets as I meet her eyes.

The woman nods and smiles, "Oh sure, come on in. I'm Naomi's mom by the way."

I walk in through the door mans hold my hand out, "Nice to meet you Ms. Johnson, I'm Damian."

She shakes her head, "Please, call me Tara."

I smile, "Of course."

Tara points upstairs, "Naomi's room is upstairs, straight down the hall."