twenty-five

Damian

"Damian," Melanie starts. "Have you asked her yet?"

Xavier, Melanie, and I sat around our usual lunch table, waiting for both Lana and Naomi. Currently, I was freaking out. Tickets to our winter dance were just posted and Melanie and Xavier were urging for me to ask her.

"No," I groaned out, laying my head into the table. "I don't know when I would do it."

Xavier slaps the back of my head, "Dude, it's not that hard, watch." Xavier leaves his spot to bow down on his knee in front of Melanie. "Melanie Wiley, will you do me the honor of attending our final winter dance with me?"

Melanie asks shocked, "Oh my gosh, yes!"

I roll my eyes, "It can't be that easy."

Xavier side-eyes me before giving me a confused look, "Dude, I just showed you, stop fucking overthinking, it's dangerous. You're going to end up not asking her at all!"

As much as I hated to hear it, Xavier was right, I do overthink too much. Naomi has said the same thing as well, causing me to realize I do it far too often. But I can't help it.

"Naomi doesn't require much, Damian. You don't need to give her multiple gifts or anything like that, just asking her is enough," Melanie says before going to get another helping of lunch.

Naomi and Lana walk through the cafeteria doors and I immediately look the other way, hoping they didn't notice me looking at them. I put my head, faking tiredness that seemed like I had just woken up from a coma.

"Hey Xavier," Naomi says while sitting down next to me. "You okay, Damian?"

I roll my head over to look at her, staring at her ombré colored hair, which she left down today, and into her chocolate-colored eyes, "Yeah, I'm good, just a little worn out."

"Oh, okay," She says. "Well, I'm going to get something to eat."

"Alright."

She gives me one last look before catching up with Lana. I look over at Xavier and my eyes meet with his glaring ones; Melanie is on her phone, not paying any attention to the conversation I just had.

"What, "I ask. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"That was your chance, you idiot!"

"I'll ask her when I want! It may not be a big deal for you and Melanie, but it's a big deal for me."

"X, leave him alone," Melanie sighs. "You're giving me a headache."

"Alright, alright."

Naomi and Lana were approaching the table as our conversation ended, both of them engaged in their own conversation as they walked forward. They were snuck upon by Lyla and Elijah, which in a past life, I would've been hanging out with them and involved with their antics. It seemed to be an okay conversation; Naomi and Lana looked confused but alright nonetheless. It was fine until I saw a carton of milk being put in Lyla's hand from behind. Naomi was unaware, remaining civil until the act occurred.

She was soaked head to toe, while everyone in the cafeteria watched. Bystanders recorded with their phones, watching the liquid drip off her hair and onto the floor. Naomi stood there, putting her hair up into a ponytail.