sixteen

Naomi

I listened on the phone while I ate my daily eggo waffle, multitasking listening to bullshit and settling my hunger. Melanie said she was staying home today , so I was going to school by myself.

"So what I'm hearing is that you want me to meet your new girlfriend? Are you out of your mind," I ask, genuinely wanting to know what goes on in his mind.

"Yes, that's exactly what I want. I still want us to have contact Naomi... I really do but you're making it hard."

"No, you made it hard for yourself. Delete my number from your phone."

And I hang up the phone.

"Who was that honey," My mom rounds the corner, still trying to put in the same earring she was dealing with earlier.

"Take a guess."

"You're father?"

"Ding Ding Ding!"

"What did he want?"

I shrug, not really wanting to tell my mom the topic of our discussion, "Nothing really, just wanted to catch up."

"Oh," My mom says and resumes getting ready through the microwave reflection. "Do you want to take the car today?"

I shake my head, "No it's alright, Damian is taking me to school today."

My mom gives me a look, "You're getting very comfortable with this Damian, oh my gosh, does my baby have a crush?"

"Oh my gosh, how could you think that? We're just friends, nothing more nothing less."

My mom only looked at me like she knew something I didn't and walked out of the room. Shortly after, I finally heard the sound of Damian's horn sound from the driveway.

"Bye mom, I'm leaving!"

"Okay bye, I love you too!"

I run out the door, closing it behind me of course, and run over to the passenger side door. Damian leans over, pushing the door open from the inside and I get in.

"Is Melanie not coming with us too," Damian asks, staring at me until I put my seatbelt on.

I do and respond, "She wasn't feeling it today. I think she just wanted to get some sleep."

"Understandable." And the car goes silent, until Damian clears his throat.

"Hey, there's something I want to ask you," Damian says. I could tell he was nervous, his hands were shaking and eyes began to roam to various locations on the street.

"Okay yeah shoot."

"Would you like to go to dinner with me? My mom wants to me to get to know her boyfriend and I asked if I could bring a friend along."

"Oh my gosh," I yell. "Yes, I would love to meet your mom!"

Damian laughs at my enthusiasm, "Gosh, you act like I asked you to marry me."